Dear Chris,
Your suggestion was fruitful.

$ mkdir ~/briefcase/1205275
mkdir: cannot create directory `1205275': Too many links

Therefore, the limitation appears to be on the side of the ext3 file
system, and unrelated to rsync.

Of course, this means that I am really stuck. In a push to standardize, I
deployed debian sarge throughout my entire network. All partitions are
either ext3 or swap.

Sincerely Yours,
Kent