I use rsync for backing up user data, profiles, important network shares
etc. (from several locations over WAN).

Overall it works flawlessly, as it transfers only changes, but sometimes
there are some serious hiccups.

Suppose this scenario, suppose it's 1 GB of files:

user shares:

/home/joe/data/file1
/file2
/...
/file1000

Now the user _moves_ that data to some other folder:

/home/joe/WAN_goes_crazy/file1
/file2
/...
/file1000

....and we start a backup process.

rsync will first transfer data from "/home/joe/WAN_goes_crazy/file...",
and then deletes "/home/joe/data/data...".

Basically, this is how rsync works, but in the end, we transfer 1 GB of
files over WAN that we already have locally - the only thing that
changed was the folder where that data is.

Is there some workaround for this (some intelligent script etc.)?

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org