From: Cyrille Bollu [mailto:Cyrille.Bollu@fedasil.be]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:35 AM
To: Tony@ServaCorp.com
Cc: rsync@lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: Initialising a mirror

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

But what do you mean by "slow rsync"? Do you mean limiting bandwith? I think
this will not be an option with 100Gb of data to synchronise...

However, I like your idea with the LAN: I think I will bring my mirror to
the remote site :-)

Just for the record, I didn't made the standard mistake, having things one
directory level off from where they should be.

I was hoping doing a "scp -rp" would preserve all the necessary information
needed by rsync but apparently not... Maybe I should use tar?

Regards,

Cyrille

a écrit sur 19/10/2005 11:00:07 :

> Standard mistake is to somehow get things one directory level off
> from where they should be.
>
> If you have the available disk space (both ends)
> Do a fast rsync from the primary to locally available fast disk
> space (same computer or LAN)
> Do a slow rsync from that disk space to another set of available
> disk space over slow/unreliable network.
> Assuming the slow rsync completed without problems,
> do a fast rsync from the second disk space to the legitimate target..
>
> Source makes a big distinction between foo/ and foo
> They both transfer the same files.
> They differ in where they transfer the file to (BY ONE LEVEL)
> Both make sense and are quite reasonable.
> If you do both, the effects are similar to untarring twice with one
> level difference between them.
>
> I know I've done it a number of times, and it is no fun over remote
> and often bad internet connections.
> With large volumes, it is not apparent when you've done it to yourself.
>

> WARNING -- these scripts work but are probably not the best nor the
> most aesthetic.
> ---just a wee bit too informative and I'm too lazy to sanitize so
> I'm not posting to the list.---
> ?? hosts allow/deny ignore with auth users present ??
> The major sucurity concerns are NOT permanently losing all my data
> rather than eavesdroppers.
> The internet connection(s) are ocassionally flaky to non-existent,
> and everything needs to assume
> that they will chose the most inopportune moment to do something I don't

like.
> Essentially the stunt is that /home/rsync-foo is rsync'd with other
> such over slow and bad connections.
> With bad internet I've got (not shown) multiple off-site backups AND
> the ability to bring them all upt-to-date
> if there is a connection (any, not necessarily the preferred -- some
> connect, some don't connect)
>

> ---Timing depends on what is different. Typically this one is about
> 10 to 15 minutes (about 10G) total.
> If large MySql tables are rearranged, tends to take rather longer.
> real 192m41.906s
>

> real 12m18.512s
> sent 13750 bytes received 7577551 bytes 10279.35 bytes/sec
> total size is 14013850399 speedup is 1846.04
> Tue Oct 18 07:28:00 CDT 2005
> rsync-sjs-dwg
> [root@wf1 /root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/sh
>
> rsync client
> # staged backup
> time rsync -a /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg-1bk/
>
> time rsync -avz --progress --partial --timeout=1750 --password-
> file=/etc/rsync.secrets/rsync-sjs-dwg \
> rsync-sjs-dwg@sjs::rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/
> date; echo rsync-sjs-dwg
>
> ----rsync server (actually is an intermediate, not the primary)
> This is an extra "junk" computer with a decent hard drive.
> This serves to get a fast
> # etc/rsyncd.conf
> pid file = /etc/rsyncd.pid
> [rsync-sjs-dwg]
> comment = backup of sjs dwg
> path = /home/rsync-sjs-dwg
> use chroot = true
> read only = false
> list = false
> uid = root
> gid = root
> auth users = rsync-sjs-dwg
> secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
> strict modes = true
> hosts allow = 10.0.0.1 pete-162 wf
> hosts deny = *.*.*.*
> ---rsync "client" (This is a PRIMARY)
> [root@sys001 root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/bash
> # rsync-sjs-dwg SJS_Drawings/ title/
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` > /tmp/rsync/OPENED
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg --timeout=750 \
> /tmp/rsync/OPENED rsync-sjs-dwg@10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> for name in title SJS_Drawings ; do
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg --timeout=750 \
> /home/dwg/$name rsync-sjs-dwg@10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> done
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` > /tmp/rsync/CLOSED
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg --timeout=750 \
> /tmp/rsync/CLOSED rsync-sjs-dwg@10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> echo 'rsync-sjs-dwg'
> date
> date -u

Bollu
> Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:58 AM
> To: rsync@lists.samba.org
> Subject: Initialising a mirror

> Dears,
>
> I would like to mirror data from 2 servers connected together via
> VPN over ADSL lines (dwn 2Mbps/Upld 512Kbps).
>
> I'm sure rsync is one of the best tool to keep these data in sync
> but how should I use it to initialise the mirror?
>
> I'm currently testing the solution with 10Gb of data to keep in
> sync. But on my lines it would take more than 40 hours to initially
> create the mirror! And in production the data to keep in sync will
> reach 100Gb...

> So, I went with a laptop on the remote site and "scp -rp" the data
> on it. I then got back to my site and "scp -rp" it on the mirror to
> initialise it.
>
> But apparently I forgot something because when rsync still sends all
> the files from the remote site to my mirror when I first run it.
>
> Does anybody has an idea about what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Does anybody has a solution to this problem?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cyrille

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C5D46D.5C518FA0

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>

class=3D300230810-19102005>"slow=20
rsync"    limited by bandwidth (or whatever) compared=20
to....

class=3D300230810-19102005>FAST=20
(LAN), SLOW (Internet), FAST (LAN)  from "pointA" to=20
"pointB"

class=3D300230810-19102005>

class=3D300230810-19102005>100Gb=20
of data    -- how much/many of what is=20
changing?

class=3D300230810-19102005>How=20
many files?  How big? (ranges)  where =
changed?

class=3D300230810-19102005>How=20
many (major) directories?

class=3D300230810-19102005>What=20
kind of window and how big?

class=3D300230810-19102005>What=20
are the preferable failure modes?

class=3D300230810-19102005>    You do NOT have a choice =
of whether=20
it fails.

class=3D300230810-19102005>    You DO have a choice of =
which way it=20
fails.

class=3D300230810-19102005>

class=3D300230810-19102005>Looks=20
like -p of scp preserves times and modes.  ?? owner and group=20
??

class=3D300230810-19102005>

class=3D300230810-19102005>Probably worth doing a fast look to see just =
what it is=20
that you actually have on both ends.

class=3D300230810-19102005>Intentions and reality quite often manage to =
do a=20
disconnect.

class=3D300230810-19102005>You=20
tend to get better answers if you state what you did (cut&paste)=20

class=3D300230810-19102005>as=20
opposed to what you thought you did.

class=3D300230810-19102005>Generally when you have troubles they are not =
the=20
same.

class=3D300230810-19102005>

face=3DTahoma=20
size=3D2>-----Original Message-----
face=3DArial size=3D2>thank you for your answer.

face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>But what do you mean by "slow rsync"? Do you mean limiting =
bandwith? I=20
think this will not be an option with 100Gb of data to =
synchronise...
=20

However, I like your idea with the =
LAN: I think=20
I will bring my mirror to the remote site :-)

face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>Just for the record, I didn't made the standard mistake, having =
things=20
one directory level off from where they should be.

face=3DArial size=3D2>I was hoping doing a "scp -rp" would preserve all =
the=20
necessary information needed by rsync but apparently not... Maybe I =
should use=20
tar?

Regards, =

face=3DArial size=3D2>Cyrille

size=3D2><Tony@ServaCorp.com> a =E9crit sur 19/10/2005 =
11:00:07=20
:

> Standard mistake is to somehow get things one directory =
level off=20

> from where they should be.

size=3D2>>=20

> If you have the available =
disk=20
space (both ends)

> Do a fast =
rsync from the=20
primary to locally available fast disk
> space (same computer or=20
LAN)

> Do a slow rsync from that =
disk space=20
to another set of available
> disk space over slow/unreliable=20
network.

> Assuming the slow rsync =
completed=20
without problems,

>     =
do a fast=20
rsync from the second disk space to the legitimate target..
=20

size=3D2>> Source=20
makes a big distinction between foo/ and foo

size=3D2>> They both transfer the same files. =

size=3D2>> They differ in where they transfer the file to =
 (BY ONE=20
LEVEL)

> Both make sense and are =
quite=20
reasonable.

> If you do both, the =
effects=20
are similar to untarring twice with one
> level difference =
between=20
them.

>   =

size=3D2>> I know I've done it a number of times, and it is no =
fun over=20
remote
> and often bad internet connections.
=

size=3D2>> With large volumes, it is not apparent when you've =
done it to=20
yourself.

>   =

size=3D2>>
> WARNING =
 --=20
these scripts work but are probably not the best nor the
> most=20
aesthetic.

> ---just a wee bit too =

informative and I'm too lazy to sanitize so
> I'm not posting to =
the=20
list.---

>     ?? hosts =
allow/deny=20
ignore with auth users present ??

size=3D2>> The=20
major sucurity concerns are NOT permanently losing all my data
> =
rather=20
than eavesdroppers.

> The internet =

connection(s) are ocassionally flaky to non-existent,
> and =
everything=20
needs to assume

> that they will =
chose the=20
most inopportune moment to do something I don't like.
=

size=3D2>> Essentially the stunt is that /home/rsync-foo is =
rsync'd with=20
other
> such over slow and bad connections.

size=3D2>> With bad internet I've got (not shown) multiple =
off-site backups=20
AND
> the ability to bring them all upt-to-date
=

size=3D2>> if there is a connection (any, not necessarily the =
preferred --=20
some
> connect, some don't connect)

size=3D2>>=20

>   =

size=3D2>>
> =
---Timing depends=20
on what is different.  Typically this one is about
> 10 to 15 =
minutes=20
 (about 10G) total.

> If =
large MySql=20
tables are rearranged, tends to take rather longer.
=

size=3D2>> real    192m41.906s
size=3D2>>
> =

=20

> real    12m18.512s
> sent =
13750 bytes=20
 received 7577551 bytes  10279.35 bytes/sec
> total size =
is=20
14013850399  speedup is 1846.04
> Tue Oct 18 07:28:00 CDT=20
2005
> rsync-sjs-dwg

> =
[root@wf1=20
/root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/sh

size=3D2>>
> rsync=20
client

> # staged backup
> =
time rsync=20
-a /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg-1bk/

size=3D2>>
> time =
rsync -avz=20
--progress --partial --timeout=3D1750 --password-
>=20
file=3D/etc/rsync.secrets/rsync-sjs-dwg \
>       =
 =20
rsync-sjs-dwg@sjs::rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/
=

size=3D2>> date; echo rsync-sjs-dwg
size=3D2>>=20

> ----rsync server   =
(actually=20
is an intermediate, not the primary)

size=3D2>> This=20
is an extra "junk" computer with a decent hard drive.
=

size=3D2>> This serves to get a fast
size=3D2>>=20
# etc/rsyncd.conf

> pid file =3D=20
/etc/rsyncd.pid

> =
[rsync-sjs-dwg]
>=20
        comment =3D backup of sjs dwg
>   =
 =20
    path =3D /home/rsync-sjs-dwg
>       =
  use=20
chroot =3D true
>         read only =3D =
false
>=20
        list =3D false
>       =
  uid=20
=3D root
>         gid =3D root
>   =
 =20
    auth users =3D rsync-sjs-dwg
>       =
 =20
secrets file =3D /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>         =
strict=20
modes =3D true
>         hosts allow =3D =
10.0.0.1 pete-162=20
wf
>         hosts deny =3D =
*.*.*.*
=20

> ---rsync "client"  (This is a=20
PRIMARY)

> [root@sys001 root]# cat =

rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/bash
> # rsync-sjs-dwg =
 SJS_Drawings/=20
title/
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` >=20
/tmp/rsync/OPENED
> rsync -a =
--password-file=3D/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg=20
 --timeout=3D750 \
>         =
/tmp/rsync/OPENED=20
      =
rsync-sjs-dwg@10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
=20

> for name in title SJS_Drawings ; do
> =
rsync -a=20
--password-file=3D/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg --timeout=3D750 \
> =
   =20
    /home/dwg/$name        =20
rsync-sjs-dwg@10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> done
=

size=3D2>> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` >=20
/tmp/rsync/CLOSED
> rsync -a =
--password-file=3D/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg=20
 --timeout=3D750 \
>         =
/tmp/rsync/CLOSED=20
      =
rsync-sjs-dwg@10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
=20

> echo 'rsync-sjs-dwg'
> date
> =
date=20
-u

size=3D2>>

size=3D2>>=20

size=3D2>> -----Original Message-----
rsync-bounces+tony=3Dservacorp.com@lists.samba.org [mailto:
rsync-bounces+tony=3Dservacorp.com@lists.samba.org]On Behalf Of Cyrille=20
rsync@lists.samba.org
> Subject: Initialising a=20
mirror

> Dears, =

>=20

> I would like to mirror data from 2 servers connected together =
via=20

> VPN over ADSL lines (dwn 2Mbps/Upld 512Kbps).
>
> =
I'm=20
sure rsync is one of the best tool to keep these data in sync
> =
but how=20
should I use it to initialise the mirror?

> I'm =
currently=20
testing the solution with 10Gb of data to keep in
> sync. But on =
my lines=20
it would take more than 40 hours to initially
> create the =
mirror! And in=20
production the data to keep in sync will
> reach 100Gb... :-( =

>=20

> So, I went with a laptop on the remote site and "scp -rp" the =
data=20

> on it. I then got back to my site and "scp -rp" it on the =
mirror to=20

> initialise it.
>
> But apparently I forgot =
something=20