--===============0388671869==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5B4A2.02DF5E85

We have nearly 200 GB of data in a production Oracle database broken up
into about 100 files of 2 GB. The database incurrs a 5% change per week
in the form of new data, no modification nor deletions. I need to copy
this data from one mount point to another then bring up the new database
on the new mount point in place of the original. The high availability
and production nature of this system means that my maintenance windows
are few and far between. To minimize my use of the maint window, I
would like to pre-copy as much data as I can with RSYNC before the
window, then do a final sync of the data during the window with the
database down. My question is, will RSYNC be a good option given that
the Oracle database is up and running for the initial sync? I'm hoping
that RSYNC will be an option for us, as other mirroring strategies I
have seen rely upon same size disk devices/partitions, which we do not
want because the goal is to put up a single device larger area to keep
this data. Please ignore the gaping holes for ideas such as just having
Oracle use another mount point in addition to the one it is already
using or online VG expansions.
=20
David Poe

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5B4A2.02DF5E85

Message
charset=3Dus-ascii">

We =
have nearly 200=20
GB of data in a production Oracle database broken up into =
about 100=20
files of 2 GB.  The database incurrs a 5% change per week in =
the form=20
of new data, no modification nor deletions.  I need to copy this =
data from=20
one mount point to another then bring up the new database on the =
new mount=20
point in place of the original.  The high availability and =
production=20
nature of this system means that my maintenance windows are few and far=20
between.  To minimize my use of the maint window, I would like to =
pre-copy=20
as much data as I can with RSYNC before the window, then do a final sync =
of the=20
data during the window with the database down.  My question is, =
will RSYNC=20
be a good option given that the Oracle database is up and running for =
the=20
initial sync?  I'm hoping that RSYNC will be an option for us, as =
other=20
mirroring strategies I have seen rely upon same size disk =
devices/partitions,=20
which we do not want because the goal is to put up a single =
device larger=20
area to keep this data.  Please ignore the gaping holes for ideas =
such as=20
just having Oracle use another mount point in addition to the one it is =
already=20
using or online VG expansions.

size=3D2>David Poe

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5B4A2.02DF5E85--