Filenames with spaces cause problems; can't be escaped - Tools

This is a discussion on Filenames with spaces cause problems; can't be escaped - Tools ; Trying to use rsync as follows: rsync -v --delete -e ssh -avz tiger:/home/smith smithcopy But as the directory tree is traversed, as soon as it hits a file or directory which has a space in the filename, things go bad... ...

  1. Filenames with spaces cause problems; can't be escaped

    Trying to use rsync as follows:

    rsync -v --delete -e ssh -avz tiger:/home/smith smithcopy

    But as the directory tree is traversed, as soon as it hits a file or
    directory which has a space in the filename, things go bad... as in:

    rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/home/smith/Fun Stuff/myfile.txt": No such
    file or directory (2)
    stat /home/smith/Fun Stuff/myfile.txt : No such file or directory

    I can't find any way to escape the filenames when they are included
    implicitly.

    (This happens whether or not I'm using ssh)

  2. Re: Filenames with spaces cause problems; can't be escaped

    Fred Henkstrom wrote:
    > Trying to use rsync as follows:
    >
    > rsync -v --delete -e ssh -avz tiger:/home/smith smithcopy
    >
    > But as the directory tree is traversed, as soon as it hits a file or
    > directory which has a space in the filename, things go bad... as in:
    >
    > rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/home/smith/Fun Stuff/myfile.txt": No such
    > file or directory (2)
    > stat /home/smith/Fun Stuff/myfile.txt : No such file or directory
    >
    > I can't find any way to escape the filenames when they are included
    > implicitly.
    >
    > (This happens whether or not I'm using ssh)

    Solved.

    It was coincidence that this happened when there was whitespace. The
    real problem was that the user on the target machine didn't have write
    priveledges for the directory.

+ Reply to Thread