Building rsync on Solaris 9 - Tools

This is a discussion on Building rsync on Solaris 9 - Tools ; Hello, I am trying to build rsync on a machine running Solaris 9. After running ./configure, I changed the Makefile to read: CFLAGS=-xarch=v9 -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./popt Now when I try and compile, I get: ild: (bad file) Input file /usr/lib/libsocket.a ...

  1. Building rsync on Solaris 9

    Hello,
    I am trying to build rsync on a machine running Solaris 9. After
    running ./configure, I changed the Makefile to read:

    CFLAGS=-xarch=v9 -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./popt

    Now when I try and compile, I get:

    ild: (bad file) Input file /usr/lib/libsocket.a contains 32-bit
    relocatable, but producing a 64-bit file.
    *** Error code 1
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `rsync'

    I am pretty sure this is a Solaris thing and not rsync. I've searched
    the groups and web for this information...

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: Building rsync on Solaris 9

    maldrich12@hotmail.com (maldrich) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to build rsync on a machine running Solaris 9. After
    > running ./configure, I changed the Makefile to read:
    >
    > CFLAGS=-xarch=v9 -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./popt
    >
    > Now when I try and compile, I get:
    >
    > ild: (bad file) Input file /usr/lib/libsocket.a contains 32-bit
    > relocatable, but producing a 64-bit file.
    > *** Error code 1
    > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `rsync'
    >
    > I am pretty sure this is a Solaris thing and not rsync. I've searched
    > the groups and web for this information...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    I successfully compiled this using:
    CFLAGS=-HAVE_OFFSET64_T -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./popt
    in my Makefile.

    Now, I am having a problem running rsync from a Solaris box to another
    Solaris box (both Solaris v9). Both systems are running the same rsync
    version (2.5.6).
    Oddly enough, when I run the command:
    rsync --stats --rsh=/usr/bin/rsh
    /tempspace/restore/arch.J0964.20031021.14:37:49
    server2:/tempspace/restore/

    I get:
    rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes: phase "unknown":
    Broken pipe
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
    io.c(515)

    Running the exact command, but to a different machine running RedHat
    7.3, the file is written as expected. The file is about 10G in size.
    Has anyone seen this Solaris problem?
    Thanks,
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread