rsync 2.5.6 copying all files instead of only changed files - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync 2.5.6 copying all files instead of only changed files - Tools ; I am using rsync over ssh (set RSYNC_RSH=ssh) to copy a bunch of files between 2 linux boxes [RH 8.0 client and RH 9.0 server]. Both ends are running rsync 2.5.6, after compiling from sources. I notice that rsync copies ...

  1. rsync 2.5.6 copying all files instead of only changed files

    I am using rsync over ssh (set RSYNC_RSH=ssh) to copy a bunch of files
    between 2 linux boxes [RH 8.0 client and RH 9.0 server]. Both ends are
    running rsync 2.5.6, after compiling from sources.

    I notice that rsync copies *all* the files even if nothing changes.
    The way I can tell is that the time stamp changes for all the files on
    the client side.

    The command I used was:

    export RSYNC_RSH=ssh
    rsync -rv root@colby:/var/tmp/rgy .

    -Shanker

  2. Re: rsync 2.5.6 copying all files instead of only changed files

    Problem is fixed. Using rsync -av fixes it.
    Looks like there is some bug in the -r switch.

    > I am using rsync over ssh (set RSYNC_RSH=ssh) to copy a bunch of files
    > between 2 linux boxes [RH 8.0 client and RH 9.0 server]. Both ends are
    > running rsync 2.5.6, after compiling from sources.
    >
    > I notice that rsync copies *all* the files even if nothing changes.
    > The way I can tell is that the time stamp changes for all the files on
    > the client side.
    >
    > The command I used was:
    >
    > export RSYNC_RSH=ssh
    > rsync -rv root@colby:/var/tmp/rgy .