Rsync under win2k - Tools

This is a discussion on Rsync under win2k - Tools ; Hello *all* After following the instructions @ http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/nt.html I have successfully got rsync running as a server under win2k ... or so I think ... When I try to connect via SSH I get the following error: $ rsync --verbose ...

  1. Rsync under win2k

    Hello *all*

    After following the instructions @
    http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/nt.html I have successfully got rsync
    running as a server under win2k ... or so I think ...

    When I try to connect via SSH I get the following error:

    $ rsync --verbose -e ssh -avz user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ /cygdrive/c/tmp
    opening connection using ssh -l user xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx rsync --server
    --sender -
    vvlogDtprz . /
    user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:
    rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
    /tmp/rsync-2.5.6/i
    o.c(177)

    Any ideas???

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Rsync under win2k

    > After following the instructions @
    > http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/nt.html I have successfully got rsync
    > running as a server under win2k ... or so I think ...
    >
    > When I try to connect via SSH I get the following error:
    >
    > $ rsync --verbose -e ssh -avz user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ /cygdrive/c/tmp
    > opening connection using ssh -l user xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx rsync --server
    > --sender -
    > vvlogDtprz . /
    > user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:
    > rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
    > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
    > /tmp/rsync-2.5.6/i

    Hi,

    I'm struggling myself with rsync and Win2000 for two days now. Maybe,
    we have a similar problem. From the Win2000 machine rsync works "in
    principle" in pull mode. I.e.:
    rsync -azv -e ssh user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/cygdrive/d/source_folder
    /cygdrive/d
    works for source_folders with less than about 1000 files. For large
    Folders, rsync only copies an empty subfolder structure and one or two
    files and than hangs. Thats one malfunction. Since this is the same,
    if I boot linux instead of Win2000, I consider this as rsync specific.
    The second malfunction is Win2000 specific: The push mode from another
    machine via
    rsync -rltzvv -e ssh /cygdrive/d/source_folder
    user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/cygdrive/d
    does not open a connection at all, like in your case. This is not a
    surprise at all, because neither ssh user@... nor ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    gives a result. I deactivated my Kerio Personal Firewall, but some
    Win2000 Pro service or something must put the network adapter in
    stealth mode. I checked "net config server" from the cmd shell, but
    server hide is not active.

    Anyone any idea?
    Uli

+ Reply to Thread