Can I actually host my own domain - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Can I actually host my own domain - TCP-IP ; Is there there a way where I can actually host my own domain name (zentec-enterprises.com) without registering one through some expensive service. I want to host it from my computer, so when I type my site in IE it will ...

  1. Can I actually host my own domain

    Is there there a way where I can actually host my own domain name
    (zentec-enterprises.com) without registering one through some expensive
    service. I want to host it from my computer, so when I type my site in
    IE it will go to my homepage (I host my site). Think of it as a web
    redirect, like DYNDNS.COM does but instead of using a subdomain, I
    host/use my own TLD.

  2. Re: Can I actually host my own domain

    In article <1143223691.271014.3610@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.co m>,
    Uplink wrote:
    >Is there there a way where I can actually host my own domain name
    >(zentec-enterprises.com) without registering one through some expensive
    >service. I want to host it from my computer, so when I type my site in
    >IE it will go to my homepage (I host my site). Think of it as a web
    >redirect, like DYNDNS.COM does but instead of using a subdomain, I
    >host/use my own TLD.

    Sure, just stick an entry into your /etc/hosts file.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  3. Re: Can I actually host my own domain

    On 24 Mar 2006 10:08:11 -0800, "Uplink" wrote:

    >Is there there a way where I can actually host my own domain name
    >(zentec-enterprises.com) without registering one through some expensive
    >service. I want to host it from my computer, so when I type my site in
    >IE it will go to my homepage (I host my site). Think of it as a web
    >redirect, like DYNDNS.COM does but instead of using a subdomain, I
    >host/use my own TLD.

    There is no way around REGISTERING your domain with a registrar, but
    since you talk about a specific one ( zentec-enterprises.com ) I
    figure you know this already. Now, the next step is to find a DNS
    server hosting it. You can run your own asuming you have the internet
    conectivity resources (static IP and the like), or use a service like
    ZoneEdit (which within some reasonable limits) is free for simple
    cases like yours. DynDNS btw. also offers hosting domains but they
    charge $25/jear for this.

    If you really think about running your own TLD things are different.
    They must first be aproved by ICANN ( http://www.icann.org ) and just
    for the fun of it you wan't get your own TLD there...

    HTH

    Markus

  4. Re: Can I actually host my own domain

    reply to Rod:

    what do you mean /etc/hosts file? I am using Small HTTP Server on
    Windows XP, apache is too un user friendly for me (although I can use
    it)

  5. Re: Can I actually host my own domain

    In article <1143325097.079337.143370@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>,
    Uplink wrote:
    >what do you mean /etc/hosts file?

    I mean the traditional file on UNIX and Linux that define host name to
    IP address mappings for those that you don't want to use DNS for.

    >I am using Small HTTP Server on Windows XP, apache is too un user
    >friendly for me (although I can use it)

    The MS-Windows XP equivalent is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

+ Reply to Thread