Monster named.run file from small local lan nameserver - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Monster named.run file from small local lan nameserver - TCP-IP ; Running Bind-9.3.2 Small local.lan with two networks covered ... only 8 addresses total. I happend notice while reading the infomative Arecord.txt provided with distribution that the `named.run' file in /var/bind was huge. -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 574646901 Mar 7 20:05 ...

  1. Monster named.run file from small local lan nameserver

    Running Bind-9.3.2

    Small local.lan with two networks covered ... only 8 addresses total.
    I happend notice while reading the infomative Arecord.txt provided
    with distribution that the `named.run' file in /var/bind was huge.

    -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 574646901 Mar 7 20:05 named.run

    I then looked at how named is started which is set during an gentoo
    linux install of bind. Turned out to have option -d set to 5 -d5 on
    startup.

    No specific logging channels or any reference to logging in named.conf
    though so it seems like -d5 by itself shouldn't cause this.

    I have very little experience with this though so not sure if this is
    abnormal. Seems very likely to be.

    Reading the ARM files it sounded as if -d5 by itself would only turn
    debug mode on... not be any more significant than -d2 or so.

    I've reset it to -d2 and SIGHUP so waiting to see if named.run grows
    huge again.

  2. Re: Monster named.run file from small local lan nameserver

    In article <87ek1d1tqb.fsf@newsguy.com>,
    Harry Putnam wrote:
    >Running Bind-9.3.2
    >
    >Small local.lan with two networks covered ... only 8 addresses total.
    >I happend notice while reading the infomative Arecord.txt provided
    >with distribution that the `named.run' file in /var/bind was huge.
    >
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 574646901 Mar 7 20:05 named.run
    >
    >I then looked at how named is started which is set during an gentoo
    >linux install of bind. Turned out to have option -d set to 5 -d5 on
    >startup.
    >
    >No specific logging channels or any reference to logging in named.conf
    >though so it seems like -d5 by itself shouldn't cause this.
    >
    >I have very little experience with this though so not sure if this is
    >abnormal. Seems very likely to be.
    >
    >Reading the ARM files it sounded as if -d5 by itself would only turn
    >debug mode on... not be any more significant than -d2 or so.
    >
    >I've reset it to -d2 and SIGHUP so waiting to see if named.run grows
    >huge again.

    named.run is the default debug file. If you turn on debugging
    it will be written to named.run unless you specify otherwise.

    Under normal operations you don't turn on debugging and named.run
    is not created. Anything significant will be sent to syslog.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread