About URL Forwarding - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on About URL Forwarding - TCP-IP ; I saw this in the internet: http://groups.google.com/group/comp....639f420f2922fc And I have pretty the same problem. I bought the domain www.mowgee.com with the redirection. I only used the domain for redirection to another website. But now, I decided to use it solely ...

  1. About URL Forwarding

    I saw this in the internet:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....639f420f2922fc

    And I have pretty the same problem. I bought the domain www.mowgee.com
    with the redirection. I only used the domain for redirection to
    another website. But now, I decided to use it solely with a separate
    hosting so I removed the redirection.

    It has been 2 days already but I still cannot see my website using my
    ISP at home while at work using a different ISP I can see my website,
    as well as my friends with a different ISP.

    www.mowgee.com should have an address of: 72.36.200.82
    but to my surprise when I ping www.mowgee.com using my ISP at home, i
    get: 66.98.145.18
    which is exactly the same IP as with wallster's problem. Now I am
    wondering where did 66.98.145.18 come from. I googled it and I havent
    found any solution yet, just 2-3 forums regarding this with no solution
    or an analysis of the problem.

    I already checked my PC for possible errors. Flushed my cache and all.
    And even used that program pagefix just in case it is a PC dns problem
    of some sort. But still I cant see the website.

    I already contacted my domain provider and he can see the site on his
    side and given no recommendations whatsoever on what exactly is the
    problem. I also contacted my ISP regarding this problem but it seems
    like they are incompetent to even determine the problem so they
    regarded it as Hosting Problems.

    Do I need to wait more than 72 hours for my domain to propagate and be
    recognized by my ISP? It has been 2 days already, and still all I get
    is either a blank page (firefox) or a page not found page (IE).

    I hope someone can help me here. Just want to know what's really the
    problem or who really is to be blamed so I can properly file a
    complaint to the right party involved.

    Thanks,
    Alex aka ionicwings
    www.ionicwings.com
    www.mowgee.com

  2. Re: About URL Forwarding

    In article <1141070404.033989.158200@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups. com>,
    ionicwings wrote:

    >And I have pretty the same problem. I bought the domain www.mowgee.com
    >with the redirection. I only used the domain for redirection to
    >another website. But now, I decided to use it solely with a separate
    >hosting so I removed the redirection.
    >
    >It has been 2 days already but I still cannot see my website using my
    >ISP at home while at work using a different ISP I can see my website,
    >as well as my friends with a different ISP.
    >
    >www.mowgee.com should have an address of: 72.36.200.82
    >but to my surprise when I ping www.mowgee.com using my ISP at home, i
    >get: 66.98.145.18
    >which is exactly the same IP as with wallster's problem. Now I am
    >wondering where did 66.98.145.18 come from. I googled it and I havent
    >found any solution yet, just 2-3 forums regarding this with no solution
    >or an analysis of the problem.

    That IP address resolves back to "mercury.orderbox-domainforward.com"
    and I'd guess that this is the address of the domain redirector.

    >I already checked my PC for possible errors. Flushed my cache and all.
    >And even used that program pagefix just in case it is a PC dns problem
    >of some sort. But still I cant see the website.

    The big question is, how does your PC get its DNS resolution done? Is
    it running its own recursive resolver, or is it simply querying a DNS
    server provided by your ISP?

    I'd guess that you probably have your PC set up to use your ISP's
    nameserver for domain resolution. If the ISP's server has
    somewhat-stale information in its DNS cache, then you'll continue to
    get stale results until the stale information expires from the DNS
    cache at your ISP.

    >I already contacted my domain provider and he can see the site on his
    >side and given no recommendations whatsoever on what exactly is the
    >problem. I also contacted my ISP regarding this problem but it seems
    >like they are incompetent to even determine the problem so they
    >regarded it as Hosting Problems.
    >
    >Do I need to wait more than 72 hours for my domain to propagate and be
    >recognized by my ISP? It has been 2 days already, and still all I get
    >is either a blank page (firefox) or a page not found page (IE).

    You may need to just wait a bit longer. It's quite possible that:

    - When your domain was originally set up via the redirection service,
    the redirection service (or your registrar or other provider)
    put a very long expiration time on the domain's DNS records, and

    - You or some other user at your ISP queried the domain information
    (i.e. browsed the site) some time before you removed the
    redirection, and

    - Some of the old DNS information is still in your ISP's DNS server
    cache.

    I just did a quick lookup on your domain, and its addresses appear to
    be correct at this point. I do note that although the "mowgee.com"
    A record has a relatively short expiration time (four hours), the NS
    records for the domain itself have a longer expiration (48 hours).

    I'd say, give it a bit longer.

    If you have a good DNS lookup tool on your PC, run it against
    www.mowgee.com, and see (1) what server it is querying and (2) what
    expiration times come back on the results.

    --
    Dave Platt AE6EO

  3. Re: About URL Forwarding

    ionicwings wrote:
    >I saw this in the internet:
    >http://groups.google.com/group/comp....639f420f2922fc
    >
    >And I have pretty the same problem. I bought the domain www.mowgee.com
    >with the redirection. I only used the domain for redirection to
    >another website. But now, I decided to use it solely with a separate
    >hosting so I removed the redirection.
    >
    >It has been 2 days already but I still cannot see my website using my
    >ISP at home while at work using a different ISP I can see my website,
    >as well as my friends with a different ISP.

    Did you turn off the old nameservers or make them serve the
    new zone content?

    Domain Name: MOWGEE.COM
    Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT LTD D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
    Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com
    Name Server: NS9.DNSDREAM.COM
    Name Server: NS10.DNSDREAM.COM
    Updated Date: 25-feb-2006
    Creation Date: 17-nov-2005
    Expiration Date: 17-nov-2006

    >www.mowgee.com should have an address of: 72.36.200.82
    >but to my surprise when I ping www.mowgee.com using my ISP at home, i
    >get: 66.98.145.18
    >which is exactly the same IP as with wallster's problem. Now I am
    >wondering where did 66.98.145.18 come from. I googled it and I havent
    >found any solution yet, just 2-3 forums regarding this with no solution
    >or an analysis of the problem.

    Ping is not a DNS dignostic tool. It is a network reachability
    tool. Use a DNS dignostic tool, like dig, to diagnose DNS problems.

    What does "dig www.mowgee.com" return? The complete reply not
    just the answer section.

    Similarly what does "dig www.mowgee.com @server" for all the
    servers that have the wrong address return.

    >I already checked my PC for possible errors. Flushed my cache and all.
    >And even used that program pagefix just in case it is a PC dns problem
    >of some sort. But still I cant see the website.
    >
    >I already contacted my domain provider and he can see the site on his
    >side and given no recommendations whatsoever on what exactly is the
    >problem. I also contacted my ISP regarding this problem but it seems
    >like they are incompetent to even determine the problem so they
    >regarded it as Hosting Problems.
    >
    >Do I need to wait more than 72 hours for my domain to propagate and be
    >recognized by my ISP? It has been 2 days already, and still all I get
    >is either a blank page (firefox) or a page not found page (IE).

    DNS information doesn't progate out. It's available
    immediately. What you have to do is wait for caches with
    old information to timeout.

    >I hope someone can help me here. Just want to know what's really the
    >problem or who really is to be blamed so I can properly file a
    >complaint to the right party involved.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Alex aka ionicwings
    >www.ionicwings.com
    >www.mowgee.com

  4. Re: About URL Forwarding

    Thanks for the input. I guess you are all right. I just need to wait
    for it. I am really sorry if I need to barge in to this group and email
    about something that will be resolved sooner. I just havent experienced
    this one since when I had my first domain, I only waited for a day for
    it to propagate properly...

    Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread