nameservers sharing IP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on nameservers sharing IP - TCP-IP ; Hi, i wanted to ask if there is a way by which Nameservers can share a IP, I have seen many hosting companies giving nameservers for a low ammount How can they do this if there is a limit of ...

  1. nameservers sharing IP

    Hi,
    i wanted to ask if there is a way by which Nameservers can share a IP,
    I have seen many hosting companies giving nameservers for a low
    ammount How can they do this if there is a limit of IPs in the world,
    I am sure one day we will be left with no IPs,
    So it will be nice if any one can tell me can nameservers share IPs
    and if yes then is there anyway to find it out who is sharing what.

    Thanks
    Regards
    Jaunty Edward

  2. Re: nameservers sharing IP

    "Jaunty Edward" wrote in message
    news:1ec8978e.0410120212.683e06cb@posting.google.c om...

    > i wanted to ask if there is a way by which Nameservers can share a IP,
    > I have seen many hosting companies giving nameservers for a low
    > ammount How can they do this if there is a limit of IPs in the world,

    A single DNS server can serve any number of zones.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  3. Re: nameservers sharing IP

    Hi Jaunty

    What do you mean when you say "nameserver can share IP."?
    Nameserver means a server that runs Domain name service. Why would
    somebody want to share an IP for a domain name resolution system and
    if you are asking wether can it run along other services like nis,
    apache, samba etc then yes you can say nameserver can share it. How
    installing a nameserver effect IP addresses. (just a side note -
    please read about IPV6)

    Can you please elaborate as there are missing links.

    regards
    Shehzad

    smilesinblues@hotpop.com (Jaunty Edward) wrote in message news:<1ec8978e.0410120212.683e06cb@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    > i wanted to ask if there is a way by which Nameservers can share a IP,
    > I have seen many hosting companies giving nameservers for a low
    > ammount How can they do this if there is a limit of IPs in the world,
    > I am sure one day we will be left with no IPs,
    > So it will be nice if any one can tell me can nameservers share IPs
    > and if yes then is there anyway to find it out who is sharing what.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Regards
    > Jaunty Edward

  4. Re: nameservers sharing IP

    smilesinblues@hotpop.com (Jaunty Edward) wrote in message news:<1ec8978e.0410120212.683e06cb@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    > i wanted to ask if there is a way by which Nameservers can share a IP,
    > I have seen many hosting companies giving nameservers for a low
    > ammount How can they do this if there is a limit of IPs in the world,
    > I am sure one day we will be left with no IPs,
    > So it will be nice if any one can tell me can nameservers share IPs
    > and if yes then is there anyway to find it out who is sharing what.

    One name server can host as many domains as you want - the biggest
    host millions. Consider, for example, the GTLD servers, which host
    the second level resolution for *all* the .COM, .NET, etc., domains,
    all off a single IP address (OK, those are replicated, so there are
    several servers, each with its own address, but that's just for
    redundancy).

    Slightly lower in the hierarchy, there's nothing at all preventing a
    single name server from hosting abcdef.com, subdomain1.abcdef.com,
    fred.net, sally.il.us and .it (the last being the TLD for Italy -
    admittedly this combination is a bit unlikely in practice, but there's
    not technical reason why it couldn't happen). Of course it could be a
    root server too (again, not very likely).

    The number of domains a single name server can host is limited only by
    the software (current versions of "bind," for example, has no
    particular limits), the machine it's running one (you ain't gonna host
    a million domains on a 4MB 486!), and the available bandwidth
    (obviously you've got to be able to usefully respond to the queries
    for all the domains).

    Finding who's sharing name servers in pretty much impossible. If you
    could run through all the domains, you could trivially build a list of
    which name server is authoritative for each domain, after which
    finding shared name servers is trivial. The problem is that there's
    no way to look up all domains.

    If you asked Network Solutions nicely, they can supply you with the
    zone file for the GTLDs, and that will (with a bit of indirection)
    list the authoritative servers for each second level domain, and you
    could again trivially process that into a list of which second level
    domains in that list share name servers. NSI generally only make that
    available to researchers or if you've got some legitimate use (the
    list is obviously quite useful for spammers and virus writers).
    Alternatively, you could use something like www.domainsurfer.com to
    pull a list of essentially all the GTLDs (although you'll have to work
    at it), and the lookup the authoritative name servers via the usual
    mechanisms, and go from there.

    None of those get you all domains, since at best you'd get the name
    server for abcdef.com, but there's no way to tell if there might be
    subdomain1.abcdef.com and subdomain2.abcdef.com, unless the name
    server for abcdef.com allows zone transfers (which it really
    shouldn't). And, of course, those two subdomains could have name
    servers anywhere (and not necessarily in the same place).

+ Reply to Thread