Network Solutions Horror Story - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Network Solutions Horror Story - TCP-IP ; We decided to use Networksolutions Advanced DNS system on one of our busier domains as we assumed their DNS servers would be distributed better than ours. Sure enough the domain servers updated to those belonging to Networksolutions, but they never ...

  1. Network Solutions Horror Story

    We decided to use Networksolutions Advanced DNS system on one of our
    busier domains as we assumed their DNS servers would be distributed
    better than ours.

    Sure enough the domain servers updated to those belonging to
    Networksolutions, but they never entered our A records into their
    servers. So our star domain is currently not resolving even though it
    points to their servers.

    We called them about this and the guy said we could only use their
    servers if we were hosting our site with them. Well where does it say
    that on the web page? And why then can I enter any IP into a zone file?
    I think the guys just said this as a BS excuse to cover the fact it just
    didn't work.

    After seeing it didn't work last night at 3am we changed it to point
    back at our own name servers, but now we have to wait it out while our
    domain points to their useless DNS servers.

    To add insult to injury we decided on the spot to transfer all of our
    domains over to Directnic where we know their Direct DNS setup works.
    But NS has all of our domains on registrar-lock even though we have
    released them for transfer! They say it takes 72 hours after a release
    for the domain to be unlocked.

    Anyone else deal with this sort of thing?

  2. Re: Network Solutions Horror Story

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:42:25 -0700, Shoplifter wrote:

    > We called them about this and the guy said we could only use their servers
    > if we were hosting our site with them.

    I have a .us domain on NS's nameservers. Normally I would use my own but
    it is a requirement of .us that the nameservers be in the US and mine
    aren't. The @ and www A records point to my web server in the UK. I don't
    use any other NS hosting service. It works fine.

    So either they are BSing you or they'll notice and mine will break. I hope
    it's the former

    Regards, Ian

+ Reply to Thread