name server for one host only - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on name server for one host only - TCP-IP ; Hi, I've setup a DNS domain in my lab, lets call it example.test. The primary name server for this domain is ns1.example.test. Everything works fine. I want to add 2 hosts to this domain. One, lets call it www has ...

  1. name server for one host only

    Hi,
    I've setup a DNS domain in my lab, lets call it example.test. The
    primary name server for this domain is ns1.example.test. Everything
    works fine.

    I want to add 2 hosts to this domain. One, lets call it www has to
    have its resolution be performed by the other, lets call it
    ns2.example.test. So if ns1.example.test receives a query for
    www.example.test, I want it to say, wait, you need to ask
    ns2.example.test.

    Is this possible to do without subdomains?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: name server for one host only

    In article <864c2cd6.0408111445.4306f991@posting.google.com>,
    enjoylife_95135@hotmail.com (enjoylife_95135) wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've setup a DNS domain in my lab, lets call it example.test. The
    > primary name server for this domain is ns1.example.test. Everything
    > works fine.
    >
    > I want to add 2 hosts to this domain. One, lets call it www has to
    > have its resolution be performed by the other, lets call it
    > ns2.example.test. So if ns1.example.test receives a query for
    > www.example.test, I want it to say, wait, you need to ask
    > ns2.example.test.
    >
    > Is this possible to do without subdomains?

    www.example.test *is* a subdomain of example.test. I think you mean
    "without subzones". The answer is no. The example.test zone should
    contain:

    www IN NS ns2

    The named.conf file on ns2.example.test should then contain:

    zone "www.example.test" {
    type master;
    file "www.example.test.db";
    };