mail - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on mail - TCP-IP ; I currently have mail coming to foobar.com through this MX record foobar.com. MX 10 mail.foobar.com. and in my new domain green.com I'm thinking I can put green.com. MX 10 mail.foobar.com. There is only one mail user at foobar.com and that ...

  1. mail

    I currently have mail coming to foobar.com through this MX record
    foobar.com. MX 10 mail.foobar.com.
    and in my new domain green.com I'm thinking I can put
    green.com. MX 10 mail.foobar.com.

    There is only one mail user at foobar.com and that is me@foobar.com
    Will this send mail for me@green.com to me@foobar.com ?

  2. Re: mail

    In article ,
    "strider" wrote:

    > I currently have mail coming to foobar.com through this MX record
    > foobar.com. MX 10 mail.foobar.com.
    > and in my new domain green.com I'm thinking I can put
    > green.com. MX 10 mail.foobar.com.
    >
    > There is only one mail user at foobar.com and that is me@foobar.com
    > Will this send mail for me@green.com to me@foobar.com ?

    As long as you configure the mail software to recognize green.com as
    another local hostname.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: mail

    s> Will this send mail for me@green.com to me@foobar.com ?

    No. It will cause mail for the former mailbox to be sent to the SMTP
    Relay server at "mail.foobar.com." by everyone's SMTP Relay clients.
    The additional further stages to the process are not related to the DNS.
    As always, publishing DNS data is *only one part* of what one has to
    do in order to provide a service. The other parts involve configuring
    the server for the actual service itself. The additional further stages
    to the process in this particular case involve that SMTP Relay server
    being configured to accept envelope recipient mailboxes in that domain,
    and being configured to know that the two domains map to the same set of
    local parts and mailbox storage areas in the local message store.

+ Reply to Thread