a URL forwarder - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on a URL forwarder - TCP-IP ; My DNS provider says the following in their FAQ. I thought that adding a CNAME for "yourdomain.com" would redirect all requests, including URL, mail and FTP. So why do they say this? Quote: Why can't I add a URL forwarder ...

  1. a URL forwarder

    My DNS provider says the following in their FAQ. I thought that adding a
    CNAME for "yourdomain.com" would redirect all requests, including URL, mail
    and FTP. So why do they say this?

    Quote:
    Why can't I add a URL forwarder for "yourdomain.com"?

    URL Forwarding needs a zone record pointing to our redirect server
    (redirect.public-dns.com). The appropriate record would be a CNAME, like:
    yourdomain.com. CNAME redirect.public-dns.org.

    The problems lies in the limits of dns zones. When you add a zone, like
    "yourdomain.com", there MUST be an A record for "yourdomain.com".
    CNAME records are not allowed to be added if a duplicate A record exists.

    So, we're unable to provide a URL forwarder for the base record for your
    zone.

    You can, however, add as many subdomain URL forwarder records as you like
    (ex. www.yourdomain.com, ftp.yourdomain.com, mysite.yourdomain.com, etc).
    EndQuote:

  2. Re: a URL forwarder

    In article ,
    "strider" wrote:

    > My DNS provider says the following in their FAQ. I thought that adding a
    > CNAME for "yourdomain.com" would redirect all requests, including URL, mail
    > and FTP. So why do they say this?

    A CNAME record cannot coexist with any other records for the same name.
    A delegated domain name is required to have NS and SOA records, so it
    can't also have a CNAME record.

    What you can do is look up the address of redirect.public-dns.org, and
    enter an A record:

    yourdoain.com. A

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: a URL forwarder

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "strider" wrote:

    >>My DNS provider says the following in their FAQ. I thought that adding a
    >>CNAME for "yourdomain.com" would redirect all requests, including URL, mail
    >>and FTP. So why do they say this?

    > A CNAME record cannot coexist with any other records for the same name.
    > A delegated domain name is required to have NS and SOA records, so it
    > can't also have a CNAME record.

    Technically, one could put the CNAME in the .COM nameserver
    instead of NS and SOA, but I don't know that anyone does that.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread