about mail forwarding? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on about mail forwarding? - TCP-IP ; Am I correct that mail forwarding a result of a service provided by a modified mail program that readdresses the mail? Does it readdress the incoming mail so that the messages still comes from the sender or does it show ...

  1. about mail forwarding?

    Am I correct that mail forwarding a result of a service provided by a
    modified mail program that readdresses the mail? Does it readdress the
    incoming mail so that the messages still comes from the sender or does it
    show as a forwarded message?

  2. Re: about mail forwarding?

    In article ,
    "strider" wrote:

    > Am I correct that mail forwarding a result of a service provided by a
    > modified mail program that readdresses the mail? Does it readdress the
    > incoming mail so that the messages still comes from the sender or does it
    > show as a forwarded message?

    Mail forwarding is typically implemented simply by putting an entry in
    the mailer's alias file. It doesn't typically modify the header in any
    way (except for the "Received:" lines that are always added by a mail
    relay).

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: about mail forwarding?

    > > Am I correct that mail forwarding a result of a service provided by a
    > > modified mail program that readdresses the mail? Does it readdress the
    > > incoming mail so that the messages still comes from the sender or does

    it
    > > show as a forwarded message?

    > Mail forwarding is typically implemented simply by putting an entry in
    > the mailer's alias file. It doesn't typically modify the header in any
    > way (except for the "Received:" lines that are always added by a mail
    > relay).

    Do I have it? are these statements correct?
    The mailer is a service and forwarding is not provided by DNS in any way.
    The mailer is the service pointed to by the MX record. Any standard mail
    server will forward based on its alias file and special forwarder versions
    are not required.

    Thanks

  4. Re: about mail forwarding?

    In article ,
    "strider" wrote:

    > > > Am I correct that mail forwarding a result of a service provided by a
    > > > modified mail program that readdresses the mail? Does it readdress the
    > > > incoming mail so that the messages still comes from the sender or does

    > it
    > > > show as a forwarded message?

    > > Mail forwarding is typically implemented simply by putting an entry in
    > > the mailer's alias file. It doesn't typically modify the header in any
    > > way (except for the "Received:" lines that are always added by a mail
    > > relay).
    > >

    > Do I have it? are these statements correct?
    > The mailer is a service and forwarding is not provided by DNS in any way.
    > The mailer is the service pointed to by the MX record. Any standard mail
    > server will forward based on its alias file and special forwarder versions
    > are not required.

    The precise details of course depend on the mailer implementation. If a
    mail server doesn't have an alias file, it obviously won't be as simple
    as just putting an entry in there. But most full-featured mail servers
    have straightforward mechanisms to do this.