Re: Configuring Root DNS server - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Configuring Root DNS server - TCP-IP ; In news:40FAB7E5.D4A214B4@Tesco.NET, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard asked for help and I offered my suggestions below: >> I am just reading about delegated [sic] root servers. What is the >> advantage of configuring the DNS infrastructure this way [...]? > > ...

  1. Re: Configuring Root DNS server

    In news:40FAB7E5.D4A214B4@Tesco.NET,
    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard asked for help and I
    offered my suggestions below:
    >> I am just reading about delegated [sic] root servers. What is the
    >> advantage of configuring the DNS infrastructure this way [...]?

    > With one's own private "." content DNS server, a "stealth slave" of a
    > public "." content DNS server, one is a better neighbour, one uses
    > less bandwidth over one's borders, and one leaks less information.
    >
    > Misconfigured Windows systems are, in my experience, exceedingly
    > prone to causing multiple and oft-repeated DNS lookups on domain
    > names underneath non-existent TLDs, and thus contributing to the 13%
    > of queries to ICANN's "." content DNS servers where the TLDs are (as
    > far as ICANN is concerned, at any rate) non-existent. With a private
    > "." content DNS server of one's own, those queries hit that server
    > and thus do not cause DNS traffic outside of the organization, let
    > alone DNS traffic to and from any public "." content DNS servers.
    > The same goes for eliminating one's contribution to the 7% of
    > pointless queries to public "." content DNS servers that are the
    > domain name equivalents of human-readable IP addresses.
    >
    > Large organizations tend to set up their own private "." content DNS
    > servers for these very reasons. But the benefits of doing so apply
    > to more than only large organizations.
    >
    > Of course, one has to arrange for timely replication of the "." DNS
    > data from the public content DNS server(s) and for all of one's
    > resolving proxy DNS servers to be configured to use the private "."
    > content DNS server instead of public ones.

    Don't forget about additional queries to the Roots with single label name
    zones.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --

  2. Re: Configuring Root DNS server

    MF> Don't forget about additional queries to the Roots with
    MF> single label name zones.

    Thank you. Yes, that's another set of queries that is prevented from reaching
    the outside world by having a private "." content DNS server.

+ Reply to Thread