need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy - TCP-IP ; I am requesting help in setting up a remote smtp proxy server. I must set up a new remote filter server that will act as a smtp proxy for a number of older rural servers. I am new to DNS ...

  1. need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy

    I am requesting help in setting up a remote smtp proxy server. I must set
    up a new remote filter server that will act as a smtp proxy for a
    number of older rural servers. I am new to DNS and need detailed
    instructions regarding MX settings. Here are the four routing scenarios
    that I can think of, additions and corrections are welcome! Any recommended
    books, tutorials, keywords, software, etc.?

    1. Incoming mail -> filter server -> rural server -> pop3 -> users
    2. Outgoing mail -> local domain
    3. Outgoing mail -> peer address -> smtp transfer
    4. Outgoing mail -> remote address -> filter server -> smtp transfer

    Thanks

  2. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy

    In article ,
    "Chris Fortune" wrote:

    > I am requesting help in setting up a remote smtp proxy server. I must set
    > up a new remote filter server that will act as a smtp proxy for a
    > number of older rural servers. I am new to DNS and need detailed
    > instructions regarding MX settings. Here are the four routing scenarios
    > that I can think of, additions and corrections are welcome! Any recommended
    > books, tutorials, keywords, software, etc.?
    >
    > 1. Incoming mail -> filter server -> rural server -> pop3 -> users
    > 2. Outgoing mail -> local domain
    > 3. Outgoing mail -> peer address -> smtp transfer
    > 4. Outgoing mail -> remote address -> filter server -> smtp transfer
    >
    > Thanks

    MX records have no impact on outgoing mail, so only #1 requires any
    special DNS settings. You should have an MX record that directs mail
    for your domain to the filter server. The filter server should then be
    configured to relay the mail to the rural server after processing it.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy

    Thanks Barry,

    Does the email client use MX records to find the ip address of their smtp
    host? If this is the case, then won't changing the MX record result in both
    scenarios #1 and #4 ? I guess the email clients will all have to change
    their configuration to point directly to the old mail server's ip address.

    "Barry Margolin" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Chris Fortune" wrote:
    >
    > > I am requesting help in setting up a remote smtp proxy server. I must

    set
    > > up a new remote filter server that will act as a smtp proxy for a
    > > number of older rural servers. I am new to DNS and need detailed
    > > instructions regarding MX settings. Here are the four routing scenarios
    > > that I can think of, additions and corrections are welcome! Any

    recommended
    > > books, tutorials, keywords, software, etc.?
    > >
    > > 1. Incoming mail -> filter server -> rural server -> pop3 -> users
    > > 2. Outgoing mail to local domain
    > > 3. Outgoing mail to peer address -> smtp transfer
    > > 4. Outgoing mail to remote address -> filter server -> smtp transfer
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > MX records have no impact on outgoing mail, so only #1 requires any
    > special DNS settings. You should have an MX record that directs mail
    > for your domain to the filter server. The filter server should then be
    > configured to relay the mail to the rural server after processing it.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  4. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy

    In article ,
    "Chris Fortune" wrote:

    > Thanks Barry,
    >
    > Does the email client use MX records to find the ip address of their smtp
    > host? If this is the case, then won't changing the MX record result in both
    > scenarios #1 and #4 ? I guess the email clients will all have to change
    > their configuration to point directly to the old mail server's ip address.

    No, email programmers have the name of their SMTP server in their setup,
    and they resolve this as an A record (one exception: if you use sendmail
    and have an SMTP relay configured in the sendmail.cf, it looks up its MX
    record for some reason).

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  5. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy

    Thanks Barry,

    Very useful information. To be painfully thorough, now: Email clients use
    the A record to lookup their smtp server (unless smtp server is sendmail
    with relay configured), do they also use A records to lookup their pop3 and
    imap servers?

    Chris

    > In article ,
    > "Chris Fortune" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Barry,
    > >
    > > Does the email client use MX records to find the ip address of their

    smtp
    > > host? If this is the case, then won't changing the MX record result in

    both
    > > scenarios #1 and #4 ? I guess the email clients will all have to

    change
    > > their configuration to point directly to the old mail server's ip

    address.

    > No, email programmers have the name of their SMTP server in their setup,
    > and they resolve this as an A record (one exception: if you use sendmail
    > and have an SMTP relay configured in the sendmail.cf, it looks up its MX
    > record for some reason).
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  6. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy

    In article ,
    "Chris Fortune" wrote:

    > Thanks Barry,
    >
    > Very useful information. To be painfully thorough, now: Email clients use
    > the A record to lookup their smtp server (unless smtp server is sendmail
    > with relay configured), do they also use A records to lookup their pop3 and
    > imap servers?

    Any time a machine wants to translate a host name into an address, they
    use A records. That's what A records are.

    MX records are *only* for routing mail to an email address.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  7. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy - Thanks Barry

    Thanks for helping the newbie, Barry! It's almost as if the designers of
    DNS were thinking of filter servers when they came up with MX records....

    > In article ,
    > "Chris Fortune" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Barry,
    > >
    > > Very useful information. To be painfully thorough, now: Email clients

    use
    > > the A record to lookup their smtp server (unless smtp server is sendmail
    > > with relay configured), do they also use A records to lookup their pop3

    and
    > > imap servers?

    > Any time a machine wants to translate a host name into an address, they
    > use A records. That's what A records are.
    >
    > MX records are *only* for routing mail to an email address.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  8. Re: need help setting up remote filter smtp proxy - Thanks Barry

    In article ,
    "Chris Fortune" wrote:

    > Thanks for helping the newbie, Barry! It's almost as if the designers of
    > DNS were thinking of filter servers when they came up with MX records....

    Actually, they were mostly thinking of non-TCP/IP networks, which were
    more common when TCP/IP was the newcomer to the networking arena. MX
    records provided a way to specify the gateway machine to another mail
    delivery technology, e.g. UUCP.