ARP request occur when keepalive probing - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on ARP request occur when keepalive probing - TCP-IP ; there is a question in the chapter of "TCP keepalive timer" in Steve book ARP requests appears every 2 hours (keepalive timer). In my explanation, the ARP cache will be timeout every 20 mins. Therefore, when 7200 seconds passed, the ...

  1. ARP request occur when keepalive probing

    there is a question in the chapter of "TCP keepalive timer" in Steve book

    ARP requests appears every 2 hours (keepalive timer).

    In my explanation, the ARP cache will be timeout every 20 mins.

    Therefore, when 7200 seconds passed, the ARP record in cache will be
    empty.

    when the keepalive probe want to send ACK for probing the client end,

    the ARP request must be sent first.
    there is a question in the chapter of "TCP keepalive timer" in Steve book

    ARP requests appears every 2 hours (keepalive timer).

    In my explanation, the ARP cache will be timeout every 20 mins.

    Therefore, when 7200 seconds passed, the ARP record in cache will be
    empty.

    when the keepalive probe want to send ACK for probing the client end,

    the ARP request must be sent first.

    thanks

  2. Re: ARP request occur when keepalive probing

    In article , csmjbw@bath.ac.uk (J Wang)
    wrote:

    > there is a question in the chapter of "TCP keepalive timer" in Steve book

    This question was more appropriate to comp.protocols.tcp-ip, where you
    posted it first, and you've already gotten answers there.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA