DIG problem - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on DIG problem - TCP-IP ; Hello, I am using the command "DIG" to get DNS records from specific name servers at my web host. (through a web interface) The problem is that DIG returns error code 10 almost always, on one of my servers, while ...

  1. DIG problem

    Hello,

    I am using the command "DIG" to get DNS records from specific name servers
    at my web host. (through a web interface)

    The problem is that DIG returns error code 10 almost always, on one of my
    servers, while it works on another (error code 0).
    I contacted the web hosting company several times, but it seems that they
    cannot figure out whats going on. (obviously because of lack of knowlege!)

    The /etc/resolv.conf is fine (I am not using it anyway).

    Is there a particular reason for DIG to not function properly?

    A detailed answer would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Domainer

  2. Re: DIG problem

    In article ,
    "domainer" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using the command "DIG" to get DNS records from specific name servers
    > at my web host. (through a web interface)
    >
    > The problem is that DIG returns error code 10 almost always, on one of my
    > servers, while it works on another (error code 0).
    > I contacted the web hosting company several times, but it seems that they
    > cannot figure out whats going on. (obviously because of lack of knowlege!)
    >
    > The /etc/resolv.conf is fine (I am not using it anyway).
    >
    > Is there a particular reason for DIG to not function properly?
    >
    > A detailed answer would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Domainer

    What do you mean by "returns error code 10"? Are you talking about the
    value shown in the "Status:" field of the output, or the exit status of
    the command? I suspect you mean the latter.

    What query are you sending, and is it producing any output? I just
    tried querying a nonexistent server, and after the timeout message it
    exited with status 9.

    Have you tried reading the source code, looking for exit(10)? That
    should clearly pin-point what would cause this type of exit.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA