UDP problems - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on UDP problems - TCP-IP ; Hi, I have two software application (sender and receiver) that communicates through UDP messages on the LAN. The sender runs on SPARC CPU with Solaris 8.1 and it sends UDP messages with size of 60000 byte. The receiver runs on ...

  1. UDP problems

    Hi,

    I have two software application (sender and receiver) that communicates
    through UDP messages
    on the LAN.
    The sender runs on SPARC CPU with Solaris 8.1 and it sends UDP messages with
    size of 60000 byte.
    The receiver runs on PC with Windows NT v.4 and it gets the UDP messages.
    The two computers (SPARC and PC) are connected through a HUB.

    This architecture works well but if I replace the HUB with other models (HUB
    or SWITCH not programmable),
    the receiver doesn't work (It receive short messages) .

    Is it possible that the HUB have cut the messages?
    If is it real, which parameters of the HUB legitimate this operation?

    Thank you

    Ermanno

  2. Re: UDP problems

    In article ,
    "Ermanno" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two software application (sender and receiver) that communicates
    > through UDP messages
    > on the LAN.

    What does this have to do with the Domain Name System? I think you
    probably intended this post for comp.protocols.tcp-ip,
    comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains.

    > The sender runs on SPARC CPU with Solaris 8.1 and it sends UDP messages with
    > size of 60000 byte.
    > The receiver runs on PC with Windows NT v.4 and it gets the UDP messages.
    > The two computers (SPARC and PC) are connected through a HUB.
    >
    > This architecture works well but if I replace the HUB with other models (HUB
    > or SWITCH not programmable),
    > the receiver doesn't work (It receive short messages) .
    >
    > Is it possible that the HUB have cut the messages?
    > If is it real, which parameters of the HUB legitimate this operation?

    A hub should never make any changes to the packets. If this is really
    happening, it sounds like the hub is broken.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA