Occasional Request Time Out during ping - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Occasional Request Time Out during ping - TCP-IP ; Hi, I have a strange problem that just started. On one of my NT4 servers, users started saying they we're getting disconnected ocassionally from it. So I started ping tests to see what was up. It will ping fine for ...

  1. Occasional Request Time Out during ping

    Hi,

    I have a strange problem that just started. On one of my NT4 servers,
    users started saying they we're getting disconnected ocassionally from
    it. So I started ping tests to see what was up. It will ping fine for
    a long time, then I get "request Time Out" 2 or 3 times, then back to
    sucessful ping and so on.

    I replaced the nic, replaced the cable, put it in a different port in
    the switch, reinstalled ip and re service packed. Still it does this.
    Any ideas?

    Also, around the time this started, I started getting these errors in
    event log:

    "Your profile was not successfully loaded, but you have been logged on
    with the default system profile. Please correct the problem and log
    off. (5)"

    Related maybe?

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Occasional Request Time Out during ping

    In article <190758ed.0403030529.21b5fb9c@posting.google.com>,
    stephen@stulz-ats.com (Stephen) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a strange problem that just started. On one of my NT4 servers,
    > users started saying they we're getting disconnected ocassionally from
    > it. So I started ping tests to see what was up. It will ping fine for
    > a long time, then I get "request Time Out" 2 or 3 times, then back to
    > sucessful ping and so on.

    What does this have to with DNS?

    Anyway, make sure the duplex matches on the server and its switch port.
    Don't use auto-sensing if you can avoid it.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Occasional Request Time Out during ping

    > > What does this have to with DNS?

    um, it has to do with a computer, a protocol, tcp/ip on my domain.
    Therefore I posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains. Didn't know I was
    required to have a DNS question.

    Anyway, thanks for the tip.

    Barry Margolin wrote in message news:...
    > In article <190758ed.0403030529.21b5fb9c@posting.google.com>,
    > stephen@stulz-ats.com (Stephen) wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a strange problem that just started. On one of my NT4 servers,
    > > users started saying they we're getting disconnected ocassionally from
    > > it. So I started ping tests to see what was up. It will ping fine for
    > > a long time, then I get "request Time Out" 2 or 3 times, then back to
    > > sucessful ping and so on.

    > What does this have to with DNS?
    >
    > Anyway, make sure the duplex matches on the server and its switch port.
    > Don't use auto-sensing if you can avoid it.

  4. Re: Occasional Request Time Out during ping

    In article ,
    ssites@air-tech.com (Stephen) wrote:

    > > > What does this have to with DNS?

    > um, it has to do with a computer, a protocol, tcp/ip on my domain.
    > Therefore I posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains. Didn't know I was
    > required to have a DNS question.

    The "domains" in the newsgroup name refers to the Domain Name Service.
    The group was created long before Microsoft confusingly reused the word
    for something totally unrelated (it's not even related to TCP/IP). For
    more general TCP/IP questions, use comp.protocols.tcp-ip.