Using subdomains - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Using subdomains - TCP-IP ; 1. I presently have 'netfunds2004.net' and 'www.netfunds2004.net' registered. 2. I want to use my SQLServer online with a name like 'SQL1.netfunds2004.net'. Is this possible? My registrar says they can't register a name like that. 3. Right now, I CAN connect ...

  1. Using subdomains

    1. I presently have 'netfunds2004.net' and 'www.netfunds2004.net'
    registered.

    2. I want to use my SQLServer online with a name like
    'SQL1.netfunds2004.net'.
    Is this possible? My registrar says they can't register a name like that.

    3. Right now, I CAN connect to my SQLServer by using 'netfunds2004.net', so
    I know the connection works.

    But I would like to use a name with the SQL1. prefix if possible.

    4. Is it possible to just add 'SQL1.netfunds2004.net' to a DNS provider,
    such as ZoneEdit or DynDNS, and point it to my IP?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Alan

  2. Re: Using subdomains

    In article <4035123c$0$3078$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
    "Alan Z. Scharf" wrote:

    > 1. I presently have 'netfunds2004.net' and 'www.netfunds2004.net'
    > registered.

    This is strange. Usually you just register a domain, like
    netfunds2004.net. When you register a domain, you tell the registrar
    where the DNS servers are. All the subdomains get entered into the zone
    file on the master DNS server, you don't have to "register" them.

    > 2. I want to use my SQLServer online with a name like
    > 'SQL1.netfunds2004.net'.
    > Is this possible? My registrar says they can't register a name like that.

    You don't need to do this through the registrar. You just add it to the
    zone file on your DNS server.

    > 4. Is it possible to just add 'SQL1.netfunds2004.net' to a DNS provider,
    > such as ZoneEdit or DynDNS, and point it to my IP?

    If they host the netfunds2004.net domain, they should be able to put any
    names in the domain.

    Perhaps your problem is that you're using the registrar as a DNS
    provider, but they only provide limited DNS configuration. Get a real
    DNS provider, or run your own DNS servers.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Using subdomains

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    > In article <4035123c$0$3078$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
    > "Alan Z. Scharf" wrote:

    >>1. I presently have 'netfunds2004.net' and 'www.netfunds2004.net'
    >>registered.

    > This is strange. Usually you just register a domain, like
    > netfunds2004.net. When you register a domain, you tell the registrar
    > where the DNS servers are. All the subdomains get entered into the zone
    > file on the master DNS server, you don't have to "register" them.

    I would not be surprised if some registrars would also provide DNS
    servers for the domain name and www.domainname, but require users to
    run their own server if they want more.

    I don't actually know that they do that, but it would seem to make sense.

    -- glen

  4. Re: Using subdomains

    Barry,

    Thanks very much for your reply.

    I got an account at ZoneEdit and just added it to my zone file, as you
    indicated.

    Alan

    "Barry Margolin" wrote in message
    > In article <4035123c$0$3078$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
    > "Alan Z. Scharf" wrote:
    >
    > > 1. I presently have 'netfunds2004.net' and 'www.netfunds2004.net'
    > > registered.

    > This is strange. Usually you just register a domain, like
    > netfunds2004.net. When you register a domain, you tell the registrar
    > where the DNS servers are. All the subdomains get entered into the zone
    > file on the master DNS server, you don't have to "register" them.
    >
    > > 2. I want to use my SQLServer online with a name like
    > > 'SQL1.netfunds2004.net'.
    > > Is this possible? My registrar says they can't register a name like

    that.

    > You don't need to do this through the registrar. You just add it to the
    > zone file on your DNS server.
    >
    > > 4. Is it possible to just add 'SQL1.netfunds2004.net' to a DNS provider,
    > > such as ZoneEdit or DynDNS, and point it to my IP?

    > If they host the netfunds2004.net domain, they should be able to put any
    > names in the domain.
    >
    > Perhaps your problem is that you're using the registrar as a DNS
    > provider, but they only provide limited DNS configuration. Get a real
    > DNS provider, or run your own DNS servers.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  5. Re: Using subdomains

    Glen,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I got a free account at zoneedit.com and just added 'SQL1' to my zone.

    Alan

    "glen herrmannsfeldt" wrote in message
    > Barry Margolin wrote:
    >
    > > In article <4035123c$0$3078$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
    > > "Alan Z. Scharf" wrote:

    > >>1. I presently have 'netfunds2004.net' and 'www.netfunds2004.net'
    > >>registered.

    > > This is strange. Usually you just register a domain, like
    > > netfunds2004.net. When you register a domain, you tell the registrar
    > > where the DNS servers are. All the subdomains get entered into the zone
    > > file on the master DNS server, you don't have to "register" them.

    > I would not be surprised if some registrars would also provide DNS
    > servers for the domain name and www.domainname, but require users to
    > run their own server if they want more.
    >
    > I don't actually know that they do that, but it would seem to make sense.
    >
    > -- glen

+ Reply to Thread