Domain Name Pointing - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Domain Name Pointing - TCP-IP ; Hi, I want to set up and sub-web on a domain name, so that users can type in the address as, for example: www.domainname.com/subdomain Aby help is greatly appreciated! Mark...

  1. Domain Name Pointing

    Hi,

    I want to set up and sub-web on a domain name, so that users can type
    in the address as, for example:

    www.domainname.com/subdomain

    Aby help is greatly appreciated!

    Mark

  2. Re: Domain Name Pointing

    mark_lundinger@hotmail.com (Mark) wrote in message news:<5c8c0255.0402101227.4d6cba18@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to set up and sub-web on a domain name, so that users can type
    > in the address as, for example:
    >
    > www.domainname.com/subdomain
    >
    > Aby help is greatly appreciated!

    This has nothing to do with domain names. You just need to configure
    your web server to return a page when someone requests "../subdomain".

  3. Re: Domain Name Pointing

    Mark wrote:

    > I want to set up and sub-web on a domain name, so that users can type
    > in the address as, for example:
    >
    > www.domainname.com/subdomain

    That's not actually a subdomain, which would be of the form
    subdomain.domainname.com. What you typed is a pathname following a
    domain, which would generally serve a particular file or subdirectory
    within the Web space of the domain, though the server is configurable to
    do anything else (e.g., redirect the address to a different URI) if the
    webmaster / server administrator wishes.

    Incidentally, RFC 2606 specifies the "dummy domains" that should be used
    when citing nonexistent addresses for example purposes (to avoid
    accidentally using somebody's real address in such a context), and
    "domainname.com" is not one of them. It's better to use example.com,
    example.net, and example.org (explicitly reserved for that purpose), or
    the "dummy TLD" .example (e.g., "domain.example", "sub.domain.example").

    --
    == Dan ==