ICANN whacks VeriSign - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on ICANN whacks VeriSign - TCP-IP ; ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records to .COM and .NET no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4) or face sanctions. http://www.icann.org/correspondence/...is-03oct03.htm -- Mark -- http://staff.washington.edu/mrc Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. ...

  1. ICANN whacks VeriSign

    ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records to .COM and .NET
    no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4) or face sanctions.

    http://www.icann.org/correspondence/...is-03oct03.htm

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  2. Re: ICANN whacks VeriSign

    It would be nice for VeriSign to shut it down today, but October 4th is
    tomorrow...they still have a bit over 23 hours remaining at the moment.

    Ron Bennett

    In article
    ,
    MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU says...

    >ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records to .COM and

    ..NET
    >no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4) or face sanctions.
    >
    >http://www.icann.org/correspondence/...is-03oct03.htm
    >
    >-- Mark --
    >
    >http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    >Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
    >Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  3. Re: ICANN whacks VeriSign

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Mark Crispin wrote:
    > ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records to .COM and .NET
    > no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4) or face sanctions.

    Well, it is 6:41PM Pacific Time and VeriSign hasn't removed the bogus
    wildcards yet. Time to sanction VeriSign.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  4. Re: ICANN whacks VeriSign

    MC> ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records
    MC> to .COM and .NET no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4)
    MC> or face sanctions.

    _The Register_ reports Verisign to have removed SiteFinder.

    However, my tests show the wildcards to still be there.

    [C:\]dnsqry a AllYourDomainAreBelongToVerisign.NET. | tail /4
    [127.0.0.8:0035] -> [0.0.0.0:0000] 70
    Header: 0000 1+1+0+0, R, RD|RA, query, no_error
    Question: AllYourDomainAreBelongToVerisign.NET. IN A
    Answer: AllYourDomainAreBelongToVerisign.NET. IN A 900 64.94.110.11

    [C:\]date /n
    Current date is: Sat 2003-10-04 02:54:29 +0100

    [C:\]

  5. Re: ICANN whacks VeriSign

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard writes:

    > MC> ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records
    > MC> to .COM and .NET no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4)
    > MC> or face sanctions.
    >
    > _The Register_ reports Verisign to have removed SiteFinder.
    >

    > However, my tests show the wildcards to still be there.

    VeriSign says the wildcard records will be gone by the deadline
    (Sat 4 Oct 1800 PDT/Sun 5 Oct 0100 UTC).

    http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg14917.html
    http://www.verisign.com/corporate/ne..._20031003.html
    http://www.icannwatch.org/

    --
    Michael Fuhr
    http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

  6. Re: ICANN whacks VeriSign

    MC> Well, it is 6:41PM Pacific Time and VeriSign hasn't removed
    MC> the bogus wildcards yet. Time to sanction VeriSign.

    Right time. Wrong day. The deadline is on 2003-10-04. By my calculations,
    Verisign has another 8 hours, from the time of writing this.

  7. Verisign's wildcards and SiteFinder are still in operation

    MC> ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records
    MC> to .COM and .NET no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4)
    MC> or face sanctions.

    JdeBP> _The Register_ reports Verisign to have removed SiteFinder.
    JdeBP>
    JdeBP>
    JdeBP>
    JdeBP> However, my tests show the wildcards to still be there.

    MF> VeriSign says the wildcard records will be gone by the deadline

    We already know. That's the press release that _The Register_ is
    quoting from (and changing the tense of, from future to past). But,
    as I implied before, what Verisign _says_ will happen (and what _The
    Register_ says _has_ happened) has not actually yet happened.

    [C:\]dnsqry a AllYourDomainAreBelongToVerisign.COM. | tail /4
    [127.0.0.8:0035] -> [0.0.0.0:0000] 70
    Header: 0000 1+1+0+0, R, RD|RA, query, no_error
    Question: AllYourDomainAreBelongToVerisign.COM. IN A
    Answer: AllYourDomainAreBelongToVerisign.COM. IN A 900 64.94.110.11

    [C:\]saydate /tzPST8PDT
    2003-10-04 10:37:11 -0700

    [C:\]

    Other sources report Verisign as saying that it needs several more
    days. This begs the questions: How hard can it be for Verisign to
    delete the wildcards ? If it needs several days just to delete two
    resource record sets from its DNS database, is it really competent
    enough to be a registry ?

  8. Re: Verisign's wildcards and SiteFinder are still in operation

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard writes:

    > JdeBP> _The Register_ reports Verisign to have removed SiteFinder.
    > JdeBP>
    > JdeBP>
    > JdeBP>
    > JdeBP> However, my tests show the wildcards to still be there.
    >
    > MF> VeriSign says the wildcard records will be gone by the deadline
    >
    > We already know. That's the press release that _The Register_ is
    > quoting from (and changing the tense of, from future to past). But,
    > as I implied before, what Verisign _says_ will happen (and what _The
    > Register_ says _has_ happened) has not actually yet happened.

    Some people may already know; others may not have seen the announcement.
    I'm not disupting that the change hasn't been made yet, I'm just
    pointing out that there's no reason to expect it to have been made yet.

    [snip]

    > Other sources report Verisign as saying that it needs several more
    > days. This begs the questions: How hard can it be for Verisign to
    > delete the wildcards ? If it needs several days just to delete two
    > resource record sets from its DNS database, is it really competent
    > enough to be a registry ?

    Waiting until the last minute before a deadline or asking for more
    time are typical behaviors for people who don't want to perform an
    action in the first place. Aside from that, making changes to GTLD
    servers might be on a schedule that's performed only once a day or
    so. After all, we're not talking about Joe's Neighborhood ISP with
    a dozen zones who can just do an "rndc reload" whenever he feels
    like it. Some might see that as feet-dragging (as it may indeed
    be), but it's reasonable to expect the change to take a little time.

    --
    Michael Fuhr
    http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

  9. Re: ICANN whacks VeriSign

    In article
    ,
    MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU says...

    >ICANN has ordered VeriSign to remove its wildcard records to .COM and

    ..NET
    >no later than 6PM today (Friday, October 4) or face sanctions.
    >
    >http://www.icann.org/correspondence/...is-03oct03.htm

    Wildcard entries appear to have been removed from the .com/.net zones.

    Looks like VeriSign made the deadline with time to spare. Hopefully they
    don't do crap like this again - such nonsense cost them much business...

    Ron Bennett

+ Reply to Thread