Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.". - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.". - TCP-IP ; phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in news:biuo19$28a$1@nyheter.ipsec.se: > So anything not visible from "the official roots" is someones intranet. That's equivalent to suggesting that anyone not listed in the local phone company's white pages is not part of the telephone system. DNS is ...

  1. Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.".

    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in news:biuo19$28a$1@nyheter.ipsec.se:

    > So anything not visible from "the official roots" is someones intranet.

    That's equivalent to suggesting that anyone not listed in the local phone
    company's white pages is not part of the telephone system. DNS is just a
    distributed name-to-number map, similar to 411 service. Alternate roots are
    much like the competing yellow pages directories, except that the scope of
    their mission is smaller, since they don't have to list the end nodes, just
    the next levels of the hierarchy.

    (BTW, the 411 analogy seems to work quite well when explaining DNS to end
    users.)

  2. Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.".

    "Kenneth Porter" wrote in message
    > phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in news:biuo19$28a$1@nyheter.ipsec.se:
    >
    > > So anything not visible from "the official roots" is someones intranet.

    > That's equivalent to suggesting that anyone not listed in the local phone
    > company's white pages is not part of the telephone system. DNS is just a
    > distributed name-to-number map, similar to 411 service. Alternate roots

    are
    > much like the competing yellow pages directories, except that the scope of
    > their mission is smaller, since they don't have to list the end nodes,

    just
    > the next levels of the hierarchy.
    >
    > (BTW, the 411 analogy seems to work quite well when explaining DNS to end
    > users.)

    Yes, the largest (or most surprising) difference is that with 411 a human
    who receives a "wrong number" will find another "info" service and keep
    trying whereas DNS clients who receive a wrong answer, use that whether
    it works or not, and when receiving "no answer found" skip all other DNS
    servers (even though they might move on to other resolution methods, e.g.,
    NetBIOS.)

  3. Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.".

    "Kenneth Porter" wrote in message
    > phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in news:biuo19$28a$1@nyheter.ipsec.se:
    >
    > > So anything not visible from "the official roots" is someones intranet.

    > That's equivalent to suggesting that anyone not listed in the local phone
    > company's white pages is not part of the telephone system. DNS is just a
    > distributed name-to-number map, similar to 411 service. Alternate roots

    are
    > much like the competing yellow pages directories, except that the scope of
    > their mission is smaller, since they don't have to list the end nodes,

    just
    > the next levels of the hierarchy.
    >
    > (BTW, the 411 analogy seems to work quite well when explaining DNS to end
    > users.)

    Hey, nice analogy!

    Cheers!

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

+ Reply to Thread