Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS - TCP-IP ; For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by Verisign's "Sitefinder", you might want to help send a message to ICANN by signing the petition (which has links to other discussions and technical problems caused by the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 227

  1. Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by
    Verisign's "Sitefinder", you might want to help send a message to ICANN
    by signing the petition (which has links to other discussions and
    technical problems caused by the abuse) at:

    http://www.petitiononline.com/icanndns/

    Sincerely,

    George Kirikos
    http://www.kirikos.com/

  2. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    George Kirikos wrote:
    > For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by
    > Verisign's "Sitefinder", you might want to help send a message to
    > ICANN by signing the petition

    Not really as these online petitions are a waste of everyones time.

  3. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Bob Blaylock" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > George Kirikos wrote:
    >
    > > For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by
    > > Verisign's "Sitefinder", you might want to help send a message to ICANN
    > > by signing the petition (which has links to other discussions and
    > > technical problems caused by the abuse) at:
    > >
    > > http://www.petitiononline.com/icanndns/

    > Online petitions...
    > They are not worth the paper...
    > On which they're printed.
    >

    > http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm

    Besides, the position is already taken care of!

  4. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "George Kirikos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.19d1b9044b8479a49896f7@news1.on.sympatico .ca...

    > For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon to the
    webmaster.

    Take your paranoia and petition elsewhere. Either that, or get a life.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  5. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote in message ...
    >"George Kirikos" wrote in message
    >news:MPG.19d1b9044b8479a49896f7@news1.on.sympatico .ca...

    >> For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    >Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon
    >to the webmaster.

    And hell to the network administrator. Error messages are the correct
    answer to errors, and websites exist already to help users find sites.

    >Take your paranoia and petition elsewhere. Either that, or get a life.

    Don't be silly. People who have a life don't post on Usenet. And paranoia
    is a normal and healthy response in the face of many things, including
    Network Solutions, Verisign, phone companies, and computer networks.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  6. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "George Kirikos" wrote in
    > message news:MPG.19d1b9044b8479a49896f7@news1.on.sympatico .ca...
    >
    >> For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    > Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon
    > to the webmaster.

    You haven't been around long, have you?

    Verisign has no right to self-proclaim themselves the "default search
    engine".

    They run the TLD registry under contract with the U.S. govmt. Running this
    registry gives them no right to hijack it for their ads.

    --
    Gib

  7. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Giblet - MN State Resident wrote in message ...
    [...]
    >Verisign has no right to self-proclaim themselves the "default search
    >engine".
    >
    >They run the TLD registry under contract with the U.S. govmt. Running
    >this registry gives them no right to hijack it for their ads.

    It's scarier than that. There is a notable absence of advertising
    on that page. Apparently, they've even all but _admitted_ that it's
    all about statistics harvesting.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  8. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    > You haven't been around long, have you?
    >
    > Verisign has no right to self-proclaim themselves the "default search
    > engine".
    >
    > They run the TLD registry under contract with the U.S. govmt. Running this
    > registry gives them no right to hijack it for their ads.

    See Bill Logan's posts in alt.www.webmaster for the answers to your
    questions and worries.

    I've been around for 41 years. Nearly six years as a webmaster, and about
    as many using usenet.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  9. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Maarten Wiltink" wrote in message

    > It's scarier than that. There is a notable absence of advertising

    It's not scary at all Maarten. Don't be silly.

    It's actually very useful. If a user mistypes my domain, it suggests the
    correct one for them, for free. Damned good service if you ask me.

    What do you prefer the user to get, an error page???
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  10. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" wrote:

    >I've been around for 41 years. Nearly six years as a webmaster, and about
    >as many using usenet.

    SPLORF!

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

  11. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Mark Roberts" wrote in message

    > SPLORF!

    What's that supposed to mean? Wanker.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  12. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:56:38 +0100, Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Maarten Wiltink" wrote in message
    >
    >> It's scarier than that. There is a notable absence of advertising

    > It's not scary at all Maarten. Don't be silly.
    >
    > It's actually very useful. If a user mistypes my domain, it suggests the
    > correct one for them, for free. Damned good service if you ask me.
    >
    > What do you prefer the user to get, an error page???

    Yes.

    If anyone figures out a new DNS port and protocol that only serves HTTP,
    I say let 'em do it. But this is not only about the HTTP effects, it is
    about the effect on the whole DNS system.

    They will get theirs -- time wounds all heels.

    --
    Perusion Hostmaster

    "Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

  13. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article ,
    "Charles Sweeney" writes:
    > "George Kirikos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.19d1b9044b8479a49896f7@news1.on.sympatico .ca...
    >
    >> For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    > Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon to the
    > webmaster.

    [snip]

    Odd that every security and networking professional, and every
    networking and security organization, I've seen comment on the issue
    thinks it's a very bad thing. Let's see... whom to believe: Charles
    Sweeney and Verislime or all those other people and organizations?

    Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

    After much hard thought on the issue, I've decided to go with the
    networking and security professionals who don't appear to have a
    vested interest in Internet murketing at the expense of reliable,
    predictable, open-standards protocol behaviour.

    Btw, Charles: Verislime's typosquatting isn't going to do you, or
    them, any damn good from any network *I* manage. You see: I'll have
    all of the netblock(s) in which that server's located well and
    thoroughly blackholed. In fact: If the news I'm seeing from all the
    people who design and build the software that Makes Things Work, both
    server- and client-side, is any guide: I don't think it's going to do
    you and Verislime any good at all, much of anywhere.

    Bummer, eh? Another example of the 'net "automatically" routing
    around damage .

    --
    Jim Seymour | "Some of the lies are so strange it
    WARNING: The "From:" address is a | makes you wonder about the spammer's

  14. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > What do you prefer the user to get, an error page???

    Yes. That is how the Internet is supposed to work.

    They are going to find themselves fighting off violations of federal law for
    routing similarly-named domains to their own systems.

    If I registered a typo-ish McDonalsd.com, I'd be hearing from the Clown.
    Verisign is doing the same thing, to their own benefit.

    --
    Gib

  15. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Giblet - MN State Resident" wrote in
    > message news:NBZ9b.11077$Ly2.1735240@cletus.bright.net...
    >
    >> You haven't been around long, have you?

    > I've been around for 41 years. Nearly six years as a webmaster, and
    > about as many using usenet.

    errr. uh huh.

    Six years is the "newbie, AOL-born generation" that has turned the net into
    the cesspool it is today.

    --
    Gib

  16. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    > If I registered a typo-ish McDonalsd.com, I'd be hearing from the Clown.
    > Verisign is doing the same thing, to their own benefit.

    And the benefit of the webmaster whose correct URL is suggested, and the
    benefit of the user who is offered the correct URL.

    I don't think it's a big deal.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  17. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" wrote:

    > "George Kirikos" wrote:
    >
    > > For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    > Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon to

    the
    > webmaster.
    >
    > Take your paranoia and petition elsewhere. Either that, or get a life.

    Read: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32852.html to get an idea
    why the people who read NANAE are so concerned.

    --
    OK

  18. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Jim Seymour" wrote in message

    > Odd that every security and networking professional, and every
    > networking and security organization, I've seen comment on the issue
    > thinks it's a very bad thing.

    FYI Jim, Bush murdering Iraqi children is a "very bad thing". Verisign
    helping webmasters and surfers, isn't.

    I don't read the paranoia press. Can you please *briefly* summarise the
    concerns about this?
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  19. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:58:28 -0500, Giblet - MN State Resident
    wrote:

    > Charles Sweeney wrote:
    >> "Giblet - MN State Resident" wrote in
    >> message news:NBZ9b.11077$Ly2.1735240@cletus.bright.net...
    >>
    >>> You haven't been around long, have you?

    >> I've been around for 41 years. Nearly six years as a webmaster, and
    >> about as many using usenet.

    > errr. uh huh.
    >
    > Six years is the "newbie, AOL-born generation" that has turned the net
    > into
    > the cesspool it is today.

    I'm sorry, but could you point me towards your reputation? You see,
    either I missed it, or it hasn't preceeded you. This confuses me because,
    well, you seem to assume that it has.

    Grey

    --
    The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    pitfall corollory that nothing is ridiculous.

  20. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    > Six years is the "newbie, AOL-born generation" that has turned the net

    into
    > the cesspool it is today.

    Is that *everyone* Gib, or just those that don't agree with you? Never used
    AOL BTW.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com