Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS - TCP-IP ; "Bill Cole" wrote in message news:bill-C44209.11430217092003@fireproof.scconsult.com... > The net is not solely made up of webmasters and websites and people > trying to access websites. Who said it was??? Read the OP. It's about the "sitefinder". That's what I was ...

  1. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Bill Cole" wrote in message

    > The net is not solely made up of webmasters and websites and people
    > trying to access websites.

    Who said it was???

    Read the OP. It's about the "sitefinder". That's what I was responding to.
    Quite simple really.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  2. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Barry Dorrans" wrote in message
    news:3f6883a6$0$10769$afc38c87@auth.uk.news.easyne t.net...

    > You DO understand what DNS does don't you?

    Pretty much Barry. So far, the only complaints I have seen are from those
    whose futile anti-spam methods are thwarted. No change there.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  3. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Dylan Parry wrote in message ...
    [...]
    >The Internet is not about "I was here first" or "my ISP is better than
    >yours". It is supposed to be a World Wide Web ...

    Please stick to your precious World Wide Web then, and leave
    everybody else's Usenet alone. While you're at it, stop sending
    and receiving email, and downloading over FTP. Do not sync
    your clock over NTP and cease and desist playing internetworked
    games over raw UDP.

    And the winner is... "No Kazaa for you!"

    (Just wondering. Do you have a sister? What's her name?)

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Witlink

  4. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Maarten Wiltink wrote:

    > (Just wondering. Do you have a sister? What's her name?)
    >
    > Groetjes,
    > Maarten Witlink

    Just guess at her name. If you get it wrong, you will be redirected to a
    dating site.

  5. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Bruce Pennypacker" wrote in message
    >

    >>I am doing something useful. I just finished patching 5 DNS servers to

    > If you operate futile DNS dependant systems, then you will be forever
    > patching them.

    How do you think name resolution works on the internet, if not for DNS?
    I don't wish to deal with a hosts table of thousands of entries, thanks.

    Verisgn has moved what should be handled IN THE BROWSER to the
    underlying architecture, and it's breaking stuff. This is bad.

    Dave Lugo dlugo@etherboy.com LC Unit #260 TINLC
    Have you hugged your firewall today? No spam, thanks.
    Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.

  6. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Herbie Cumberland" wrote in
    message news:1c2hmvsu13rvjtkvakb6ef43g0k63082i2@4ax.com...
    > In message-id ,
    > Charles Sweeney wrote:
    >
    > >"Bruce Pennypacker" wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I am doing something useful. I just finished patching 5 DNS servers to

    > >If you operate futile DNS dependant systems, then you will be forever
    > >patching them.

    > ????
    >
    > were you born this clueless, or did you have to work at it?
    >
    > *plonk*

    That's right. Piss off now and join the other window-lickers.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  7. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" writes:
    >> For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    >Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon to the
    >webmaster.

    Are you insane? Do you really want misspelled attempts to reach YOUR site
    to get directed to a search page which may well land the user on some
    competitor's page?

    >Take your paranoia and petition elsewhere. Either that, or get a life.

    It's not paranoia when verisign is really after you. *
    like corkscrews.

  8. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Maarten Wiltink" wrote in message

    > Please stick to your precious World Wide Web then, and leave
    > everybody else's Usenet alone. While you're at it, stop sending
    > and receiving email, and downloading over FTP. Do not sync
    > your clock over NTP and cease and desist playing internetworked
    > games over raw UDP.

    Read the OP. It was about HTTP.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  9. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:13:02 +0100, "Charles Sweeney"
    may have said:

    >"George Kirikos" wrote in message
    >news:MPG.19d1b9044b8479a49896f7@news1.on.sympatico .ca...
    >
    >> For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    >Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon to the
    >webmaster.
    >
    >Take your paranoia and petition elsewhere. Either that, or get a life.

    Petition, agreed; it's worthless. As for the other, you're ignoring
    the fact that dns is *supposed* to return no result for a nonexistent
    domain, and that this behavior is essential to the functionality of a
    number of features. Thus Verisign has *broken* things with their
    malfeature. Since you seem to be supporting them, though, welcome to
    my killfile.

    --
    My email address is antispammed;
    pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

  10. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Giblet - MN State Resident" wrote in message

    > Just guess at her name. If you get it wrong, you will be redirected to a
    > dating site.

    Back to HTTP again. At least you are sticking to the OP.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  11. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Paul Vader" wrote in message

    > Are you insane? Do you really want misspelled attempts to reach YOUR site
    > to get directed to a search page which may well land the user on some
    > competitor's page?

    Depends on the typo. Either way (lets just for a laugh consider the user
    here, and not the arrogant evangelistic admin) it's better than presenting
    an error to the user.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  12. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article , Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Barry Dorrans" wrote in message
    > news:3f6883a6$0$10769$afc38c87@auth.uk.news.easyne t.net...
    >
    >> You DO understand what DNS does don't you?

    > Pretty much Barry. So far, the only complaints I have seen are from those
    > whose futile anti-spam methods are thwarted. No change there.

    AND ssh AND telnet AND ftp AND sending mail to non-existent hosts / domains

    What if somenone hacks into sitefinder (and its DMZ) and starts
    operating the above services and manages to collect accounts and
    passwords? Then using sitefinder legitimetly (suggest the most likely
    sote) one could break into a myriad of sites.

    Typosquatting is a bad thing, get over it.
    --
    #include adamo+news@dblab.ece.ntua.gr
    Don't be silly. People who have a life don't post on Usenet. --Maarten Wiltink

  13. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    http://www.acronymfinder.com
    --
    #include adamo+news@dblab.ece.ntua.gr
    Don't be silly. People who have a life don't post on Usenet. --Maarten Wiltink

  14. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" writes:
    >If you operate futile DNS dependant systems, then you will be forever
    >patching them.

    Ignoramus alert! *

    P.S. *plonk*
    like corkscrews.

  15. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article , Dylan Parry wrote:
    > The Internet is not about "I was here first" or "my ISP is better than
    > yours". It is supposed to be a World Wide Web that serves everyone, not
    > just those here before 1996. So keep your arrogant attitudes to yourself.

    The World Wide Web is only a subset of what is called the Internet.

    --
    #include adamo+news@dblab.ece.ntua.gr
    Don't be silly. People who have a life don't post on Usenet. --Maarten Wiltink

  16. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" wrote in message
    > "Maarten Wiltink" wrote in message
    >
    > > Please stick to your precious World Wide Web then, and leave
    > > everybody else's Usenet alone. While you're at it, stop sending
    > > and receiving email, and downloading over FTP. Do not sync
    > > your clock over NTP and cease and desist playing internetworked
    > > games over raw UDP.

    > Read the OP. It was about HTTP.

    If you bothered to examine the real subject of the post - the online
    petition - you would see that they claim the changes Verisign made in order
    to implement Sitefinder:

    1. breaks technical standards, by rewriting the expected error codes to
    instead point to Verisign's pay-per-click web directory, and threatens the
    security and stability of the Internet;

    2. breaks technical standards affecting email services, and other internet
    systems;

    3. is anti-competitive, providing Verisign with 20 million eyeballs per day
    for "free", while not paying for the domains they are resolving. All other
    market participants pay at least $6 per domain per year (wholesale);

    4. violates trademark rights of domain holders, by typosquatting on their
    ..com and .net domains; and

    5. violates the authoritative nature of DNS, turning it instead into a
    "best guess" system filled with uncertainty, thereby destroying the
    coherence of the DNS for Verisign's own short-term profit.

    --
    OK

  17. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" writes:
    >I've been around for 41 years. Nearly six years as a webmaster, and about
    >as many using usenet.

    Here's a quarter kid. Go play in the street. *
    like corkscrews.

  18. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    On 2003-09-17, Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Giblet - MN State Resident" wrote in message
    >
    >> If I registered a typo-ish McDonalsd.com, I'd be hearing from the Clown.
    >> Verisign is doing the same thing, to their own benefit.

    > And the benefit of the webmaster whose correct URL is suggested, and the
    > benefit of the user who is offered the correct URL.
    >
    > I don't think it's a big deal.

    Chuck, what you don't seem to comprehend is that there are other side
    effects of Verisign's actions. For example, Verisign is running an
    "accept and delete" mail server there. Now when someone typos on email,
    they won't get a bounce - it will get delivered to the trashcan at
    verisign, or accepted and used to collect email addresses so they can
    spam even more (verisign is a well known spam outfit.)

    But I can understand your lack of comprehension. You only have 6 years
    experience, and probably no formal training at all. It's VERY clear that
    you have the impression that the internet is only used for HTTP / WWW.

  19. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Charles Sweeney" wrote in news:bk9p6b$qc7e0$1@ID-
    162618.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > It's actually very useful. If a user mistypes my domain, it suggests the
    > correct one for them, for free. Damned good service if you ask me.

    How will you feel about that when one of your competitors buys a "targeted
    hit" on your domain name?

    ~Empty

    --
    'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
    kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other

  20. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article <3f6889a5$0$58714$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
    > Please stick to your precious World Wide Web then, and leave
    > everybody else's Usenet alone. While you're at it, stop sending
    > and receiving email, and downloading over FTP. Do not sync
    > your clock over NTP and cease and desist playing internetworked
    > games over raw UDP.

    You forgot "stop using DNS". Just use http://ip.add.ress.es in the
    address bar of your browser :-)