Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS - TCP-IP ; Giblet - MN State Resident wrote: > Six years is the "newbie, AOL-born generation" that has turned the net > into the cesspool it is today. That is possibly the most stuck up elitist thing I have read today. Okay ...

  1. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:

    > Six years is the "newbie, AOL-born generation" that has turned the net
    > into the cesspool it is today.

    That is possibly the most stuck up elitist thing I have read today. Okay
    so a lot of people started using AOL 6 or 7 years ago, but not everyone is
    of that crowd.

    I first used a computer in 1998 and now I have a degree in Computer
    Systems. The reason being I, like many others, am not from a particularly
    privileged background and I could not afford to buy a computer (Not only
    that but I paid very little attention in IT lessons in school!) nevermind
    pay the fees to connect to an ISP.

    The Internet is not about "I was here first" or "my ISP is better than
    yours". It is supposed to be a World Wide Web that serves everyone, not
    just those here before 1996. So keep your arrogant attitudes to yourself.

    --
    Dylan Parry

  2. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:

    Accidentally crossposted during followups. Remainder of thread will stay in
    NANAE.

  3. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article ,
    Bob Blaylock wrote:
    >In article ,
    > George Kirikos wrote:
    >
    >> For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by
    >> Verisign's "Sitefinder", you might want to help send a message to ICANN
    >> by signing the petition (which has links to other discussions and
    >> technical problems caused by the abuse) at:
    >>
    >> http://www.petitiononline.com/icanndns/

    > Online petitions...
    > They are not worth the paper...
    > On which they're printed.
    >

    > http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm

    Uh, yeah, good luck with that. Hope it works out better than
    the UDRP/sunrise thing did.

    http://sunrise.open-rsc.org/

    --
    OEM parts - Benz: http://parts.mbz.org BMW: http://buyeuroparts.com

  4. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:01:00 +0100, Charles Sweeney wrote:

    > "Giblet - MN State Resident" wrote in message
    >
    >> If I registered a typo-ish McDonalsd.com, I'd be hearing from the Clown.
    >> Verisign is doing the same thing, to their own benefit.

    > And the benefit of the webmaster whose correct URL is suggested, and the
    > benefit of the user who is offered the correct URL.

    It was about DNS not WWW. So if you mistype the domain in
    an email Verisign will receive the mail or the sender will
    receive a bounce that the mail will be queued because there
    is no MTA currently responding. After some days an additional
    bounce will be sent informing that the mail can't be delivered.

    Regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: spamfang@kimmeringer.de

    questions!

  5. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Giblet - MN State Resident" wrote in message
    >

    >>If I registered a typo-ish McDonalsd.com, I'd be hearing from the Clown.
    >>Verisign is doing the same thing, to their own benefit.

    > And the benefit of the webmaster whose correct URL is suggested, and the
    > benefit of the user who is offered the correct URL.
    >
    > I don't think it's a big deal.

    Stop thinking exclusively in terms of web browsing. DNS is *NOT* used
    exclusively by web browsers. There are literally hundreds of other
    protocols that all rely on DNS. smtp, ftp, telnet, and ssh are only a
    few. Verislime has managed to wreak havoc with a number of these
    protocols by this one boneheaded maneuver. Not only that but many large
    internet companies, ISPs, etc. undoubtedly have various utilities,
    scripts, etc. that rely on the fact that DNS queries return errors for
    bogus domains.

    Hell, how would you like it if suddenly you couldn't even *print* to a
    printer in your office because of what Verisign did. Well it apparently
    happened to at least one person:

    -Bruce

  6. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:
    > Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:
    >
    > Accidentally crossposted during followups.

    is that supposed to be an apology for the gross generalisation and abuse?

    > Remainder of thread will stay in NANAE.

    I feel so much better now I know you have a doorstep of your own to **** on.

    Good bye.
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

  7. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:
    >> Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:
    >>
    >> Accidentally crossposted during followups.

    > is that supposed to be an apology for the gross generalisation and
    > abuse?

    no, it's meant to keep the discussion out of places where people think the
    net revolves around web browsing.

  8. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Lothar Kimmeringer" wrote in message

    > It was about DNS not WWW. So if you mistype the domain in

    It's about WWW too. Have you read all the thread?
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  9. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article ,
    GreyWyvern wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:58:28 -0500, Giblet - MN State Resident
    > wrote:

    [...]
    > > Six years is the "newbie, AOL-born generation" that has turned the net
    > > into
    > > the cesspool it is today.

    > I'm sorry, but could you point me towards your reputation? You see,
    > either I missed it, or it hasn't preceeded you. This confuses me because,
    > well, you seem to assume that it has.

    Clearly you do not read news.admin.net-abuse.email, where his reputation
    is quite well-established.

    (hint: it seems that all of the responses to his referenced article are
    the result of his cross-posting to many groups where his reputation has
    not preceeded him. )

    --
    Now where did I hide that website...

  10. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    "Bruce Pennypacker" wrote in message

    > Stop thinking exclusively in terms of web browsing.

    Most of the complaints in this thread relate to the web issues. I can only
    respond to what's in front of me.

    DNS isn't a major problem either. Relax, it'll be ok. Go and do something
    useful now.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  11. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Jim Seymour" wrote in message
    >

    >>Odd that every security and networking professional, and every
    >>networking and security organization, I've seen comment on the issue
    >>thinks it's a very bad thing.

    > FYI Jim, Bush murdering Iraqi children is a "very bad thing". Verisign
    > helping webmasters and surfers, isn't.

    Here we go with the non-sequitors. Talk about a wildly inappropriate
    comparison. How soon until you start comparing the internet community
    that is opposed to what verisign did to Nazi's & Hitler? (yeah, I know,
    Godwin!)

    You think Verisign might have helped webmasters & surfers? What about
    all the mail administrators, etc. that Verisign just managed to harm in
    pretty signifcant ways? There are many more systems that rely on DNS
    servers returning NXDOMAIN for bogus domains then there web surfers who
    may actually like this new "feature".

    > I don't read the paranoia press. Can you please *briefly* summarise the
    > concerns about this?

    See my previous post, and start thinking about issues other than web
    browsing.

  12. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > "Bruce Pennypacker" wrote in message
    >

    >>Stop thinking exclusively in terms of web browsing.

    > Most of the complaints in this thread relate to the web issues. I can only
    > respond to what's in front of me.
    >
    > DNS isn't a major problem either. Relax, it'll be ok. Go and do something
    > useful now.

    I am doing something useful. I just finished patching 5 DNS servers to
    filter out the mess that Verisign created. We'll probably be patching
    another ten or so before the day is out. Now why don't you go and do
    something useful like learn a little more about DNS so you don't sound
    like a total clueless fool.

    -Bruce

  13. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    > no, it's meant to keep the discussion out of places where people think the
    > net revolves around web browsing.

    Your first post in this thread was about web browsing, or were you talking
    about an email or DNS search engine with ads!!??

    If you enter the discussion talking about the WWW, then you will find that
    your replies will be about WWW.

    So you claim the subject has changed when you face opposition, then you
    retreat to your own group! Get a spine man/woman/thing! (Big surprise.
    Yet another anonymous tough-guy from NANAE)
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  14. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:26:18 +0100, Charles Sweeney wrote:

    > "Lothar Kimmeringer" wrote in message
    >
    >> It was about DNS not WWW. So if you mistype the domain in

    > It's about WWW too. Have you read all the thread?

    I read the thread but it's not an argument that you might
    get an advantage with one protocol when you break up a
    whole bunch of others.

    Regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: spamfang@kimmeringer.de

    questions!

  15. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Giblet - MN State Resident wrote:
    > it's meant to keep the discussion out of places where people
    > think the net revolves around web browsing.

    Incidently, I agree with your comments on the issue as do many (if not
    most) here - AWW

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

  16. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Bruce Pennypacker wrote:
    > Verisign might have helped webmasters & surfers?

    No - I'm a surfer (part time/grade II) and I think it's an irritation. The
    vz implementation has broken the feature in my browser where I can correct
    my own typos.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

  17. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    In article ,
    "Charles Sweeney" wrote:

    > "George Kirikos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.19d1b9044b8479a49896f7@news1.on.sympatico .ca...
    >
    > > For those who oppose the recent typosquatting of .com and .net by

    > Typosquatting?? It helps users find sites, which can only be a boon to the
    > webmaster.

    The net is not solely made up of webmasters and websites and people
    trying to access websites.

    Verisign has consciously and intentionally made it much harder to detect
    the fact that a domain is in fact nonexistent by anything other than a
    human with a web browser.

    As an example, last Tuesday a mail server that I help manage rejected
    over 5,000 pieces of email before seeing a single byte of their headers
    or body simply because they claimed to be from addresses that could not
    possibly be correct -- the domain names did not resolve. Yesterday, less
    than 100 such rejections occurred but there were thousands more pieces
    of spam accepted and delivered by that server.

    Verisign is telling lies in DNS by saying that every possible domain
    name under net anc com exists and lives at their SiteFinder address.
    Anyone who had wanted to have such a service for interactive web usage
    could already get it optionally in a web browser and by default in some
    (like the current versions of IE and AOL) and any network that wants to
    foirce this on their users can do so with web proxies. Doing it in DNS
    is a Very Bad Idea unless you happen to be Verisign.

    --
    Now where did I hide that website...

  18. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    > I am doing something useful. I just finished patching 5 DNS servers to

    If you operate futile DNS dependant systems, then you will be forever
    patching them.

    Good luck.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

  19. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > If you operate futile DNS dependant systems, then you will be forever
    > patching them.

    You DO understand what DNS does don't you?

    Your email is a "futile DNS dependant system".

    So is Verisign's search engine that you appear to like.

    BTW, did you read the terms and conditions you have agreeded to once you
    mistype a .com or .net domain? Didn't you know that spelling badly or
    typoing now has T&Cs if you're web browsing? Ah, well, now you do.

  20. Re: Petition to stop Verisign's typosquatting abuse of the DNS

    > You think Verisign might have helped webmasters & surfers? What about
    > all the mail administrators, etc. that Verisign just managed to harm in
    > pretty signifcant ways? There are many more systems that rely on DNS
    > servers returning NXDOMAIN for bogus domains then there web surfers who
    > may actually like this new "feature".
    >
    > > I don't read the paranoia press. Can you please *briefly* summarise the
    > > concerns about this?

    > See my previous post, and start thinking about issues other than web
    > browsing.

    If web browsing is raised, which it was, I will reply to it.

    You raised mail administrators so I shall reply to that too. Anyone using
    futile anti-spam systems will find that their system is no more or less
    futile now.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com