Problem NAT and local network - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Problem NAT and local network - TCP-IP ; I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is connected to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because of the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the NAT ...

  1. Problem NAT and local network

    I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is connected
    to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because of
    the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the NAT
    of the speedtouch.

    Everything working perfectly unless the access to mail server from the local
    network. I can actually access it from local network but only using the
    local IP (10.0.0.139).

    I found on the web the suggestion to change the IP local of the server to
    10.0.1.139 (letting the other local IP with 10.0.0.xxx) to force the nat to
    make the translation. I've tried it but the problem still exits.

    If someone know what to do, please tell me.. it's very urgent.

    Tks in advance,

    Bill.

    PS: I'm a newbie...

  2. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail server. This way when
    you use the alias on the LAN side, it will resolve to the LAN IP.

    Dave

    "Bill" wrote in message
    | I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is connected
    | to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because of
    | the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the NAT
    | of the speedtouch.
    |
    | Everything working perfectly unless the access to mail server from the local
    | network. I can actually access it from local network but only using the
    | local IP (10.0.0.139).
    |
    | I found on the web the suggestion to change the IP local of the server to
    | 10.0.1.139 (letting the other local IP with 10.0.0.xxx) to force the nat to
    | make the translation. I've tried it but the problem still exits.
    |
    | If someone know what to do, please tell me.. it's very urgent.
    |
    | Tks in advance,
    |
    | Bill.
    |
    | PS: I'm a newbie...

  3. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    Tks again David,

    As you said to, i've created an alias in the dns hostname table. the alias
    works perfectly. But is there possible a solution where the PC's in the
    local lan can access the mailserver using the public name (mail.xxxxxx.xx).
    where you gave the alias solution, i thought it would be possible to create
    an alias mail.xxxxxx.xx but it isn't... as i said, i'm a newbie.

    tks for your time. Regards,

    Bill.

    "David H. Lipman" escreveu na mensagem
    > Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail

    server. This way when
    > you use the alias on the LAN side, it will resolve to the LAN IP.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Bill" wrote in message
    > | I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is

    connected
    > | to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because

    of
    > | the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the

    NAT
    > | of the speedtouch.
    > |
    > | Everything working perfectly unless the access to mail server from the

    local
    > | network. I can actually access it from local network but only using the
    > | local IP (10.0.0.139).
    > |
    > | I found on the web the suggestion to change the IP local of the server

    > | 10.0.1.139 (letting the other local IP with 10.0.0.xxx) to force the nat

    > | make the translation. I've tried it but the problem still exits.
    > |
    > | If someone know what to do, please tell me.. it's very urgent.
    > |
    > | Tks in advance,
    > |
    > | Bill.
    > |
    > | PS: I'm a newbie...

  4. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    You want to look at your PC clock. It is NOT December 9th yet !

    Dave

    "Bill" wrote in message news:1063355763.355770@news.oninet.pt...
    | Tks again David,
    |
    | As you said to, i've created an alias in the dns hostname table. the alias
    | works perfectly. But is there possible a solution where the PC's in the
    | local lan can access the mailserver using the public name (mail.xxxxxx.xx).
    | where you gave the alias solution, i thought it would be possible to create
    | an alias mail.xxxxxx.xx but it isn't... as i said, i'm a newbie.
    |
    | tks for your time. Regards,
    |
    | Bill.
    |

    | "David H. Lipman" escreveu na mensagem
    | > Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail
    | server. This way when
    | > you use the alias on the LAN side, it will resolve to the LAN IP.
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >
    | > "Bill" wrote in message
    | > | I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is
    | connected
    | > | to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because
    | of
    | > | the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the
    | NAT
    | > | of the speedtouch.
    | > |
    | > | Everything working perfectly unless the access to mail server from the
    | local
    | > | network. I can actually access it from local network but only using the
    | > | local IP (10.0.0.139).
    | > |
    | > | I found on the web the suggestion to change the IP local of the server
    | > | 10.0.1.139 (letting the other local IP with 10.0.0.xxx) to force the nat
    | > | make the translation. I've tried it but the problem still exits.
    | > |
    | > | If someone know what to do, please tell me.. it's very urgent.
    | > |
    | > | Tks in advance,
    | > |
    | > | Bill.
    | > |
    | > | PS: I'm a newbie...
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

  5. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    OOpss, you're right...

    And about my last question (is there possible a solution where the PC's in
    the local lan can access the mailserver using the public name
    (mail.xxxxxx.xx)? ), have you any suggestion, please?

    > You want to look at your PC clock. It is NOT December 9th yet !
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Bill" wrote in message

    > | Tks again David,
    > |
    > | As you said to, i've created an alias in the dns hostname table. the

    alias
    > | works perfectly. But is there possible a solution where the PC's in the
    > | local lan can access the mailserver using the public name

    (mail.xxxxxx.xx).
    > | where you gave the alias solution, i thought it would be possible to

    create
    > | an alias mail.xxxxxx.xx but it isn't... as i said, i'm a newbie.
    > |
    > | tks for your time. Regards,
    > |
    > | Bill.
    > |

    > | "David H. Lipman" escreveu na mensagem
    > | > Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail
    > | server. This way when
    > | > you use the alias on the LAN side, it will resolve to the LAN IP.
    > | >
    > | > Dave
    > | >
    > | > "Bill" wrote in message
    > | connected

    because
    > | of

    the
    > | NAT
    > | > |

    the
    > | local

    the
    > | > |

    server

    nat
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

  6. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    None...Sorry Bill.

    Dave

    "Bill" wrote in message news:1063373866.746539@news.oninet.pt...
    | OOpss, you're right...
    |
    | And about my last question (is there possible a solution where the PC's in
    | the local lan can access the mailserver using the public name
    | (mail.xxxxxx.xx)? ), have you any suggestion, please?
    |
    | Bill..
    |
    | "David H. Lipman" escreveu na mensagem
    | > You want to look at your PC clock. It is NOT December 9th yet !
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Bill" wrote in message
    | > | Tks again David,
    | > |
    | > | As you said to, i've created an alias in the dns hostname table. the
    | alias
    | > | works perfectly. But is there possible a solution where the PC's in the
    | > | local lan can access the mailserver using the public name
    | (mail.xxxxxx.xx).
    | > | where you gave the alias solution, i thought it would be possible to
    | create
    | > | an alias mail.xxxxxx.xx but it isn't... as i said, i'm a newbie.
    | > |
    | > | tks for your time. Regards,
    | > |
    | > | Bill.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "David H. Lipman" escreveu na mensagem
    | > | server. This way when

    | > | connected
    | because
    | > | of
    | the
    | > | NAT
    | > | > |
    | the
    | > | local
    | the
    | > | > |
    | server
    | nat
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  7. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is

    connected
    > to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because of
    > the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the NAT
    > of the speedtouch.
    >
    > Everything working perfectly unless the access to mail server from the

    local
    > network. I can actually access it from local network but only using the
    > local IP (10.0.0.139).

    Some NAT implementations seem to do this, and some don't. But in any case,
    it will be much slower to do it that way, so you really don't want to. The
    FreeBSD NAT router that I used to use had that effect.

    The usual solution to this problem is to run split DNS. Have one DNS server
    on the internal network, which gives the 10.* addresses for names of your
    machines. The one used from the outside, which may really be outside, or
    found using port forwarding through the NAT router, returns the outside
    address. The inside DNS server then goes outside only if it can't answer
    the request from its own data.

    Now this thread is on topic for comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains, which it
    otherwise would not be. So why did you post there?

    > I found on the web the suggestion to change the IP local of the server to
    > 10.0.1.139 (letting the other local IP with 10.0.0.xxx) to force the nat

    > make the translation. I've tried it but the problem still exits.

    That doesn't make sense to me. Don't do that.

    -- glen

  8. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    > I've got a modem/router ADSL Alcatel Speedtouch 510 (R3.7) that is connected
    > to a mail server and a local network. I've got also a static IP because of
    > the mail server. The translation external/internal IP is done with the NAT
    > of the speedtouch.
    >
    > Everything working perfectly unless the access to mail server from the local
    > network. I can actually access it from local network but only using the
    > local IP (10.0.0.139).
    >
    > I found on the web the suggestion to change the IP local of the server to
    > 10.0.1.139 (letting the other local IP with 10.0.0.xxx) to force the nat to
    > make the translation. I've tried it but the problem still exits.
    >
    > If someone know what to do, please tell me.. it's very urgent.

    If I understand your problem correctly, you'll need a better router. Either
    one where you can set the IP address of the mail server to the external
    static IP or a router that will handle the DNS situation you have. I saw
    this discussed in relation to a Mac software router where the developer
    specifically added the ability to deal with this and it was discussed as
    being not commonly available.

  9. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:10:33 +0000, David H. Lipman wrote:

    > None...Sorry Bill.
    >
    > Dave

    LOL.

    Bill, he's already told you once...

    Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail
    server. This way when you use the alias on the LAN side, it will resolve
    to the LAN IP.

    Steve.

  10. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    David: Tks again for your help.
    Steve: This answer do not resolve totally my problem: it allows create an
    alias, for example "mailserver", but i need the real name "mail.xxxxx.xxx".

    "Steve Horsley" escreveu na mensagem
    newsan.2003.09.13.08.51.49.882762@virgin.NO_SPAM.net.. .
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:10:33 +0000, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >
    > > None...Sorry Bill.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > LOL.
    >
    > Bill, he's already told you once...
    >
    > Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail
    > server. This way when you use the alias on the LAN side, it will resolve
    > to the LAN IP.
    >

    > Steve.

  11. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:40:01 +0100, Bill wrote:

    > David: Tks again for your help.
    > Steve: This answer do not resolve totally my problem: it allows create an
    > alias, for example "mailserver", but i need the real name
    > "mail.xxxxx.xxx".
    >
    > "Steve Horsley" escreveu na mensagem
    > newsan.2003.09.13.08.51.49.882762@virgin.NO_SPAM.net.. .
    >> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:10:33 +0000, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>
    >> > None...Sorry Bill.
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> >

    >> LOL.
    >>
    >> Bill, he's already told you once...
    >>
    >> Create a HOSTS table line item identifying the Local IP of the mail
    >> server. This way when you use the alias on the LAN side, it will
    >> resolve to the LAN IP.
    >>

    >> Steve.

    Have you tried an entry like this in your hosts file?:
    123.123.123.123 aaa.bbb.ccc wobblywilly

    It works for me:
    [steve@StevesPC steve]$ ping aaa.bbb.ccc
    PING aaa.bbb.ccc (123.123.123.123) 56(84) bytes of data.

    [steve@StevesPC steve]$ ping wobblywilly
    PING aaa.bbb.ccc (123.123.123.123) 56(84) bytes of data.

    I'm sure it should work on windows too.

    Steve

  12. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:59:24 +0100, Steve Horsley wrote:

    > Have you tried an entry like this in your hosts file?: 123.123.123.123
    > aaa.bbb.ccc wobblywilly
    >
    > It works for me:
    > [steve@StevesPC steve]$ ping aaa.bbb.ccc PING aaa.bbb.ccc
    > (123.123.123.123) 56(84) bytes of data.
    >
    > [steve@StevesPC steve]$ ping wobblywilly PING aaa.bbb.ccc
    > (123.123.123.123) 56(84) bytes of data.
    >
    > I'm sure it should work on windows too.
    >
    > Steve

    Dang, something wrapped that hosts file line.
    It shoud read all on one line:

    123.123.123.123 aaa.bbb.ccc wobblywilly

    Steve

  13. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    You're right! it works! (the hosts file is in
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc directory, in a XP system)

    Thank a lot, Steve.

    David: Probably this answer is the one you mentioned since your first
    answer. sorry, i didn't understoud... shame on me.

    Tks again you two.

    Bill.

    "Steve Horsley" escreveu na mensagem
    newsan.2003.09.16.18.21.48.982008@virgin.NO_SPAM.net.. .
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:59:24 +0100, Steve Horsley wrote:
    > >
    > > Have you tried an entry like this in your hosts file?: 123.123.123.123
    > > aaa.bbb.ccc wobblywilly
    > >
    > > It works for me:
    > > [steve@StevesPC steve]$ ping aaa.bbb.ccc PING aaa.bbb.ccc
    > > (123.123.123.123) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > >
    > > [steve@StevesPC steve]$ ping wobblywilly PING aaa.bbb.ccc
    > > (123.123.123.123) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > >
    > > I'm sure it should work on windows too.
    > >
    > > Steve

    > Dang, something wrapped that hosts file line.
    > It shoud read all on one line:
    >
    > 123.123.123.123 aaa.bbb.ccc wobblywilly
    >
    > Steve

  14. Re: Problem NAT and local network

    Bill:

    No problem !

    Dave

    "Bill" wrote in message news:1063748138.238122@news.oninet.pt...
    | You're right! it works! (the hosts file is in
    | c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc directory, in a XP system)
    |
    | Thank a lot, Steve.
    |
    | David: Probably this answer is the one you mentioned since your first
    | answer. sorry, i didn't understoud... shame on me.
    |
    | Tks again you two.
    |
    | Bill.

+ Reply to Thread