Differences between root-servers - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Differences between root-servers - TCP-IP ; I'm sure this doesn't only apply to the root-servers, but that is where I saw it, so I'll ask why. I'm playing with Net: NS in perl, and I was querying each of the root servers for "com". In each ...

  1. Differences between root-servers

    I'm sure this doesn't only apply to the root-servers, but that is where
    I saw it, so I'll ask why.

    I'm playing with Net:NS in perl, and I was querying each of the root
    servers for "com". In each case they gave me the list of gtld-servers,
    as expected.

    My question is: why do some of them return the list in the ANSWER section
    (with AA flag unset) and other return it in the AUTHORITY section (with an
    empty ANSWER section)? Is there a subtle difference in meaning?

    Thanks,
    Tony
    --
    Tony Mountifield
    Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

    --
    Tony Mountifield
    Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
    Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

  2. Differences between ICANN's root-servers

    TM> why do some of them return the list in the ANSWER section
    TM> and other return it in the AUTHORITY section (with an
    TM> empty ANSWER section)?

    ICANN's "." content DNS servers do not all employ the same softwares.

    TM> Is there a subtle difference in meaning?

    From a practical standpoint, no. But, technically (although somewhat
    arguably, since RFC 2308 isn't actually entirely clear on this point), the
    former is a complete answer whereas the latter is a partial answer ending in a
    referral.

+ Reply to Thread