gtld-servers.net glue problem - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on gtld-servers.net glue problem - TCP-IP ; hi just wanted to check my understanding of my situation. problem: i have a host which just changed it's IP. previously it was used as a name server and there is a glue A record in the "net" zone file. ...

  1. gtld-servers.net glue problem

    hi

    just wanted to check my understanding of my situation.

    problem: i have a host which just changed it's IP. previously it was used
    as a name server and there is a glue A record in the "net" zone file. the
    old IP is therefore being returned by *.gtld-servers.net

    solution: the registrar who handles the parent domain of that host needs to
    update the data they are giving verisign-grs for the zone file to remove the
    glue record.

    problem #2: my registrar has no method to alter glue records and their
    support centre frontline seems to not understand what a glue record is nor
    will they escalate it to someone who does.

    question: am i barking up the wrong tree? is there another way to remove
    glue records? or am i on the right track?

    cheers
    marty

  2. Re: gtld-servers.net glue problem

    >problem #2: my registrar has no method to alter glue records and their
    >support centre frontline seems to not understand what a glue record is nor
    >will they escalate it to someone who does.
    >
    >question: am i barking up the wrong tree? is there another way to remove
    >glue records? or am i on the right track?

    If you can't hit them over the head with a big enough clue-stick
    you'll need to change registrars. Of course registrars can change
    A records at NSI it's part of the SRS (registar/registry) protocol.

    --
    OEM parts - Benz: http://parts.mbz.org BMW: http://buyeuroparts.com

  3. Re: gtld-servers.net glue problem

    M> problem: i have a host which just changed it's IP [address].
    M> previously it was used as a name server and there is a glue A
    M> record in the "net" zone file. the old IP [address] is
    M> therefore being returned by *.gtld-servers.net [.]

    This is why it's unwise for the intermediate domain names used in delegations
    to be employed for any other use. The only place that such intermediate
    domain names should be used is in delegations. Such names should be thought
    of as being service-specific (in this case, DNS-specific) aliases for the
    machine.

    M> solution: the registrar who handles the parent domain of that
    M> host needs to update the data they are giving verisign-grs for
    M> the zone file to remove the glue record.

    Not quite. The registrar who registered that "HOST" record with the registry
    needs to alter it. You need to find out who that registrar is (by looking up
    the "HOST" record in the registry, of course). The question that also needs
    to be answered, however, is "Is that 'HOST' record yours to change?". It
    might not be.

    M> problem #2: my registrar has no method to alter glue records [...]

    Yes, it does. It couldn't really provide its services if it didn't. Perhaps
    your use of DNS terminology is confusing it. Your registrar may be thinking
    in terms of "HOST" and "DOMAIN" records, or in terms of "Domain" and
    "Nameserver" entities.

+ Reply to Thread