Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.". - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.". - TCP-IP ; In article , phn (p) writes: p> Internet ( big 'I' ) , it's by definition "what the 13 ietf rootservers say" Silly boy, The Internet is, by assertion, that which was created by Al Gore. -- Mail me as ...

  1. Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.".

    --
    Mail me as MYFIRSTNAME@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
    |<

  2. Re: Legitimate and working alternative roots, versus "dnslife.com.".

    >p> Internet ( big 'I' ) , it's by definition "what the 13 ietf rootservers say"

    There's no such thing as "IETF rootsevrers".

    They're controlled by the US Department of Commerce who contracts
    administration to ICANN who have 13 volunteers run it one of which
    is NSI. Both NSI and ICANN have wanted contracts with the root
    server operators for years. Don't know how that's going.

    All that political nonsense is so you can get to use this
    file:

    ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/root.zone.gz.md5

    So, you can rely on (lucky!) thirteen servers someplace
    and a complicated beaurocracy all working or you
    can grab thge file yourself once a week and safely
    ignore them and be immune from root server outages.

    Or, if you routinely violate the law by smoking pot or speeding
    you, you daring thing you, might use a different root zone
    such as OpenNIC or ORSC: ftp://dns.vrx.net/pub/db.root

    Only a moron would rely or some other server to tell him where
    the .com nameservers are. That's just a bad idea.

    Oh and stop using BIND. It's broken. Switch to DJBDNS, now.

    Any questions?

    --
    OEM parts - Benz: http://parts.mbz.org BMW: http://buyeuroparts.com