Re: Website name & trademark - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Website name & trademark - TCP-IP ; On 28 Aug 2003 01:46:03 -0700, leobenini@hotmail.com (Leobenini) wrote: >I just bought a domain name that is made of three comon words, >something like >ProtectMyCar.com >Do I need to register a trademark too to be sure I will have no ...

  1. Re: Website name & trademark

    wrote:

    >I just bought a domain name that is made of three comon words,
    >something like
    >ProtectMyCar.com
    >Do I need to register a trademark too to be sure I will have no legal
    >problem using the site in the future?
    >What I need to register "ProtectMyCar.com" or "ProtectMyCar".
    >How do I do that? (I live in the UK but want to do that for the UK and
    >the US)

    I don't think it's a technical issue. Contact a lawyer.

    --
    Fernando Gont
    e-mail: fernando@ANTISPAM.gont.com.ar

    [To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]

  2. Re: Website name & trademark

    In article ,
    Fernando Gont wrote:
    >On 28 Aug 2003 01:46:03 -0700, leobenini@hotmail.com (Leobenini)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a domain name that is made of three comon words,
    >>something like
    >>ProtectMyCar.com
    >>Do I need to register a trademark too to be sure I will have no legal
    >>problem using the site in the future?
    >>What I need to register "ProtectMyCar.com" or "ProtectMyCar".
    >>How do I do that? (I live in the UK but want to do that for the UK and
    >>the US)

    Just using the name in commerce established a common law trademark in the
    US. You can register the trademark if you want, some lawyer will charge you
    between 1000-2000 or so.

    Keep in mind a trademark is a descriptive word or phrase that describes
    a product or service. Like "frobozz" brand cola or "foorbar" brand
    of soap. "foorbar soap" isn't trademarkable, but "foorbar"
    as a *brand* or soap is; that is you'd own a trademar for the
    word "foorbar" in whatever the category for soap is (watches,
    clocks anf horological instruments are category 8, that's the on;y
    one I know).

    Now, trademarks are registered (or not, they have to pass
    approval from the USPTO) in a specific category of
    goods or services in a defined geographical area.

    So, you can get a trademark for "protectmycar" or
    "protectmycar.com" if you can show it as the source some goods
    or a service.

    Any questions?

    --
    OE,OEM MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com