Re: Alternative dns ip's? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Alternative dns ip's? - TCP-IP ; what software are you using for the dns server? "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote in message news:3F437AC4.8536774C@tesco.net... > D> Have anyone got any alternate DNS entries they use... > D> UK based that is. > > Do you mean alternatives ...

  1. Re: Alternative dns ip's?

    what software are you using for the dns server?

    "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote in message
    > D> Have anyone got any alternate DNS entries they use...
    > D> UK based that is.
    >
    > Do you mean alternatives to the proxy DNS servers at
    > 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 that NTL supplies for
    > its customers' use ?
    >
    > I use the proxy DNS server at 127.0.0.8 myself. Since it's
    > running on my own machine, I think that it qualifies as being
    > "U.K. based". (-:
    >
    > It's not available for _your_ use, of course. I have no urge to
    > pay the costs of looking up your DNS queries. But then that's
    > also true for the proxy DNS servers run by other people and other
    > organizations, and exemplifies an important point. It is unwise to
    > just go picking and using someone else's proxy DNS server Out There,
    > without their explicit agreement, because those servers, too, aren't
    > intended for your use, and their services can cease being provided
    > to you at any time (especially if, by using them, you draw their
    > administrators' attention to the fact that their proxy DNS services
    > are promiscuous).
    >
    > If you want proxy DNS service from someone other than your ISP,
    > either run and use your own service (which isn't all that hard -
    > going to the extreme that I have of writing your own DNS server
    > software is not a requirement (- or buy such a service from
    > someone who explicitly provides and sells it to the public. (The
    > only such third parties who explicitly provide such service to
    > the public that I am aware of are some of the augmented root
    > organizations, such as ORSC.)

  2. Re: Alternative dns ip's?

    D> what software are you using for the dns server?

    Mine. As I said, I wrote it myself. It's not going to be of any use to you.
    Microsoft Windows is not capable of running it, and you appear to be using
    Microsoft Windows.

    You should be aware that providing your own DNS service will _not_ prevent the
    situations where our ISP's interception proxy HTTP servers _themselves_ have
    DNS lookup problems. If, despite this, you are still interested in providing
    your own DNS service, on Microsoft Windows, then look at (for starters)
    NTCanuck's "BIND Personal Edition", ISC's BIND, and Microsoft's DNS server.

  3. Re: Alternative dns ip's?

    >Mine. As I said, I wrote it myself. It's not going to be of any use to you.
    >Microsoft Windows is not capable of running it, and you appear to be using
    >Microsoft Windows.
    >
    >You should be aware that providing your own DNS service will _not_ prevent the
    >situations where our ISP's interception proxy HTTP servers _themselves_ have
    >DNS lookup problems.

    My local ISP put up a transparent proxy and I could no longer see say,
    http://free.tibet. A few weeks later their proxy is still in place
    yet it works now; they stopped buggering around with DNS.

    --
    OE,OEM MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com