Re: Named Servers - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Named Servers - TCP-IP ; "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote in message news:3F1D4164.3113928A@tesco.net... > HM> Are you saying that the forwarder would have to fail before > HM> the recursion would begin? > > WS> Yes. > > Actually, the correct answer is "No.". That's ...

  1. Re: Named Servers

    "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote in message
    > HM> Are you saying that the forwarder would have to fail before
    > HM> the recursion would begin?
    >
    > WS> Yes.
    >
    > Actually, the correct answer is "No.". That's not what you are saying.
    > Forwarding _is_ recursion, remember ? So recursion begins with

    forwarding.
    > You are saying that forwarding would have to fail before _query

    resolution_
    > would begin.

    I'll agree to anything as long as we don't start that again ;-)
    My answer is, however, correct based on his question. Each forwarder would
    need to fail or return no answer or server failed for root-hints to get a
    chance. If any forwarder returns NXDOMAIN (which is an answer), then
    root-hints would not be used and the query would return NXDOMAIN. Which is
    even worse for this example as it could prevent many queries.

    > If forwarding results in a "no such name" response being obtained from the
    > forwardee, _it has not failed_. Only if forwarding _fails_ is query
    > resolution attempted.

    Correct. If no response or server failed response and maybe a few others.
    NXDOMAIN will return NXDOMAIN and iteration will not be used.

    > RFC 1034 section 2.4 .

    They are talking about the entire INET namespace. If I only have
    "mydomain.com" internally, then that is *my namespace. If I have an NT
    domain called "MYDOMAIN" then that is my namespace.

    --wjs

  2. Re: Named Servers

    This is the real problem.

    If (one of) the forwarders returns NXDomain,
    then nothing else happens.

  3. Re: Named Servers

    Agreed.

    "Herb Martin" wrote in message
    > This is the real problem.
    >
    > If (one of) the forwarders returns NXDomain,
    > then nothing else happens.

+ Reply to Thread