Terminology: "Split horizon" - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Terminology: "Split horizon" - TCP-IP ; I'm familiar with the term "split horizon" in matters to do with routing, but also came across it today to do with DNS. Is "split horizon DNS" an industry-accepted term, or just the invention of one individual? I have never ...

  1. Terminology: "Split horizon"

    I'm familiar with the term "split horizon" in matters to do with
    routing, but also came across it today to do with DNS. Is "split horizon
    DNS" an industry-accepted term, or just the invention of one individual?
    I have never seen it before now.

    I am writing some material on split DNS, and need to get the terminology
    right.

    Ian

    --

  2. Re: Terminology: "Split horizon"

    In article ,
    ian wrote:
    >I'm familiar with the term "split horizon" in matters to do with
    >routing, but also came across it today to do with DNS. Is "split horizon
    >DNS" an industry-accepted term, or just the invention of one individual?
    >I have never seen it before now.
    >
    >I am writing some material on split DNS, and need to get the terminology
    >right.

    I've generally heard this called either "split DNS" or "split-brain DNS".
    I've never before today heard "split horizon" in the context of DNS, and
    maybe the other poster was simply confusing the two terms.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

  3. Re: Terminology: "Split horizon"

    Barry Margolin wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > ian wrote:
    > >I'm familiar with the term "split horizon" in matters to do with
    > >routing, but also came across it today to do with DNS. Is "split horizon
    > >DNS" an industry-accepted term, or just the invention of one individual?
    > >I have never seen it before now.
    > >
    > >I am writing some material on split DNS, and need to get the terminology
    > >right.

    > I've generally heard this called either "split DNS" or "split-brain DNS".
    > I've never before today heard "split horizon" in the context of DNS, and
    > maybe the other poster was simply confusing the two terms.

    I believe the term "split horizon DNS" was coined - or at least popularized -
    by Prof. Daniel J. Bernstein in the documentation and rationale of his
    djbdns package - . However, I just tried
    a Google search on "split horizon" DNS, and it seems that its usage has been
    slowly seeping across the 'Net, even into non-djbdns-related fora

    G'luck,
    Peter

  4. Re: Terminology: "Split horizon"

    I> Is "split horizon DNS" an industry-accepted term, or just
    I> the invention of one individual?

    Is Google not working ?

    I don't know who invented the term "split horizon DNS", but
    one of the earliest users, according to Google Groups at
    least, was Paul Vixie, back in 1994. It's been used a fair
    amount during the intervening nine years.

    There are earlier uses of the term "split horizon" relating
    to IP routing and not DNS that go back even further to 1988,
    and I suspect that the term simply carried over from the one
    to the other.

    Another possibility (which I don't suspect) is that it is
    indeed the invention of one individual, and that that
    individual is Paul Vixie.

    The original etymology of "split horizon" apparently stems
    from the world of sextants. (Ironically, the analogy from
    "split horizon update" to the world of sextants is rather
    more contorted than the analogy of "split horizon DNS" is.)

    "Split brain DNS" is a newer term (first occurring some
    years after Paul Vixie first used "split horizon DNS") and
    one less often used according to Google Groups. The
    surgical procedure to which it alludes is somewhat drastic
    and definitely ugly, and I suspect that it's used mainly by
    those who didn't understand "split horizon DNS" straightaway
    when they first saw it because they've never encountered a
    sextant. (-:

  5. Re: Terminology: "Split horizon"

    BM> I've never before today heard "split horizon" in the
    BM> context of DNS, [...]

    My goodness! Where have you _been_ during the last nine
    years ?

  6. Re: Terminology: "Split horizon"

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard writes:

    > My goodness! Where have you _been_ during the last nine years ?

    As far as I can tell, he's been earning the right to be accorded
    significantly more respect than you can be bothered to show.

    I don't think I've heard the term "split-horizon DNS" more than once
    or twice, either. So some subset of DNS users came up with some
    bizarre name that barmar didn't remember seeing. Big deal. It's not
    like he doesn't understand this stuff.

    A little more Google usage suggests that "split-horizon DNS" is almost
    as infrequently used as "split-brain(ed)? DNS". A search for the
    literal term returns fewer than 700 hits. A Google search for "split
    DNS" returns over 6,000. "Split-brain DNS" returns almost 500, and
    "split brained DNS" returns around twenty.

    --
    Matt Curtin, CISSP, IAM, INTP. Keywords: Lisp, Unix, Internet, INFOSEC.
    Founder, Interhack Corporation +1 614 545 HACK http://web.interhack.com/

  7. Re: Terminology: "Split horizon"

    >A little more Google usage suggests that "split-horizon DNS" is almost
    >as infrequently used as "split-brain(ed)? DNS". A search for the
    >literal term returns fewer than 700 hits. A Google search for "split
    >DNS" returns over 6,000. "Split-brain DNS" returns almost 500, and
    >"split brained DNS" returns around twenty.

    And "braindead dns" gives 4 hits.

    --
    OE and OEM: MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com