Virtual Name Server - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Virtual Name Server - TCP-IP ; Hi, My simple questions are -- What is a virtual name server? -- What do I need to do if I want to set one up without using my registrar's help? (I have access to advanced DNS tools) -- If ...

  1. Virtual Name Server

    Hi,

    My simple questions are

    -- What is a virtual name server?
    -- What do I need to do if I want to set one up without using my registrar's
    help? (I have access to advanced DNS tools)
    -- If not, who sets it up? (accredited registrar?)

    As I understand, a each virtual name server is an alias for the primary and
    secondary name servers.
    What I don't understand is what 'alias' means.

    Does that simply mean that the virtual name server points to the primary (or
    secondary) name server's IP address? (A-record)

    I am suspecting that its more complicated than that. (I do have two IP
    addresses which I can use, but there is no DNS service running on those IP
    addresses!)

    I am totally confused, and would appreciate a lot of help.

    ---
    JP

  2. Re: Virtual Name Server

    I got this off http://www.profitgate.net/webchart.html

    Virtual Name Server

    The Internet's

    "File Clerks"

    A "name server" simply takes a domain name, like www.name.com and assigns it
    an "Internet Protocol Address" Number such as 24.162.247.30 and keeps this
    on file.

    This IP # is actually how the Routers are able to "find" a particular
    computer on the Web.

    On the Internet, a virtual server is a server (computer and various server
    programs) at someone else's location that is shared by multiple Web site
    owners so that each owner can use and administer it as though they had
    complete control of the server.

    Using a virtual server, a company or individual with a Web site can not only
    have their own domain name and IP address, but can administer their own file
    directories, add e-mail accounts and address assignments, assign multiple
    domain names that resolve to a basic domain name without involvement from
    the ISP, manage their own logs and statistics analysis, and maintain
    passwords

    hope it helps

    Krish Sharma

+ Reply to Thread