Re: List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk - TCP-IP ; MS> does anyone know if and where there is a complete list of TLDs, MS> country code TLDs and second level domains for those CCTLDs that MS> always have a 2nd level, like co.uk, edu.au etc. available? The answer, given ...

  1. Re: List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

    MS> does anyone know if and where there is a complete list of TLDs,
    MS> country code TLDs and second level domains for those CCTLDs that
    MS> always have a 2nd level, like co.uk, edu.au etc. available?

    The answer, given that, is "Yes.".

    MS> I need it to strip all levels from an FQDN up to the highest
    MS> level that is not an official domain name.

    The identity function does that. _All_ domain names in the public DNS
    database are official, inasmuch as any of them can be said to be so.

    MS> [...] the implementation first tries to lookup [...]

    Stop when you reach a domain name suffix that has a non-empty "SOA" resource
    record set. A comprehensive list of delegation points is not what you need at
    all.

  2. Re: List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

    In article <3F0A2B26.B3F07888@tesco.net>,
    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
    >Stop when you reach a domain name suffix that has a non-empty "SOA" resource
    >record set. A comprehensive list of delegation points is not what you need at
    >all.

    Lots of corporate subdomains have SOA records, but I don't think he wants
    to stop at things like engineering.company.com -- he wants to keep going to
    company.com.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

  3. Re: List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

    BM> Lots of corporate subdomains have SOA records, but I don't think
    BM> he wants to stop at things like engineering.company.com -- he
    BM> wants to keep going to company.com.

    He didn't say one way or the other. However, it's not unreasonable to
    suppose, given his description of what he is doing, that he might indeed want
    exactly that. He might well want the administrative boundaries for his
    "automatic proxy config script" to align with the administrative boundaries of
    the DNS, and may well indeed want a search to stop at
    "engineering.company.com." if that happens to be a "zone" apex. As Peter Koch
    pointed out, there's precedent for that sort of thing being a good idea. (-:
    There's also evidence, from the world of Active Directory, for the belief that
    when large organizations have subdomains that are independent enough to manage
    their own namespace, they generally try to avoid mechanisms that are capable
    of accidentally being used to apply default settings globally across all
    subdomains.

    And, as Peter also pointed out, if one chooses not to use the information that
    is readily available in the DNS database for this, the other reasonable
    solution is to simply require an administrator to explicitly supply the list
    of domain names whose subdomains will be searched in the manner described.

+ Reply to Thread