Is there an IP address which represents "no default gateway?" - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Is there an IP address which represents "no default gateway?" - TCP-IP ; Just a quick question for you networking wizards out there: I am trying to configure a TCP/IP-based network printer. This printer will reside on an isolated network so a default gateway is not needed. The network configuration of this printer ...

  1. Is there an IP address which represents "no default gateway?"

    Just a quick question for you networking wizards out there:

    I am trying to configure a TCP/IP-based network printer. This printer
    will reside on an isolated network so a default gateway is not
    needed. The network configuration of this printer is accomplished via
    HTTP through a standard web interface. Although I do not want to
    specify a default gateway, the printer's configuration does not allow
    me to leave the "default gateway:" field blank. Is there an ip
    address I can enter that will be interpreted as "no default gateway?"
    is 0.0.0.0 a valid input? If so, what does it mean? Thanks in
    advance for any insight on this one.

  2. Re: Is there an IP address which represents "no default gateway?"

    auxvivrespos@gmail.com writes:

    [...]

    > Although I do not want to specify a default gateway, the printer's
    > configuration does not allow me to leave the "default gateway:"
    > field blank. Is there an ip address I can enter that will be
    > interpreted as "no default gateway?" is 0.0.0.0 a valid input? If
    > so, what does it mean?

    0.0.0.0 means "this host, this network", so it's essentially telling
    the printer to use itself as its default gateway (though it may
    interpret that differently).

    I would suggest using an address on your network that is and will
    remain unused.

    -----Scott.

  3. Re: Is there an IP address which represents "no default gateway?"

    Thanks for the info. My initial guess was that 0.0.0.0 represented a
    null address but it sound like it has a much different meaning. I'll
    play around with this setting and see what works. I'm surprised that
    the configuration will not allow me to leave the default gateway
    undefined.

    > 0.0.0.0 means "this host, this network", so it's essentially telling
    > the printer to use itself as its default gateway (though it may
    > interpret that differently).
    >
    > I would suggest using an address on your network that is and will
    > remain unused.

  4. Re: Is there an IP address which represents "no default gateway?"

    > Just a quick question for you networking wizards out there:
    > I am trying to configure a TCP/IP-based network printer. This printer
    > will reside on an isolated network so a default gateway is not
    > needed. The network configuration of this printer is accomplished via
    > HTTP through a standard web interface. Although I do not want to
    > specify a default gateway, the printer's configuration does not allow
    > me to leave the "default gateway:" field blank. Is there an ip
    > address I can enter that will be interpreted as "no default gateway?"
    > is 0.0.0.0 a valid input? If so, what does it mean? Thanks in
    > advance for any insight on this one.

    Why not use 127.0.0.1 ?

    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread