Two+ broadband connections into a single network? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Two+ broadband connections into a single network? - TCP-IP ; I believe this would be possible but I would like to verify. I am currently moving to a new address and going from a 10Mb/1Mb internet connection to what's going to end up being 3Mb/256K, which is ridiculous. They will ...

  1. Two+ broadband connections into a single network?

    I believe this would be possible but I would like to verify. I am
    currently moving to a new address and going from a 10Mb/1Mb internet
    connection to what's going to end up being 3Mb/256K, which is
    ridiculous. They will not adjust the cap on the modem and I can't do
    it without the FBI/Whoever beating down my door. So, this leaves me
    with ordering multiple connections and multiple modems. What I will
    essentially need to do is feed the connections into two routers to
    split between our 6+ home computers (wireless and wired). I will leave
    one router DHCP enabled, the other, obviously, disabled and then
    connect the routers via switch. How do I need to go about ensuring
    that I can specify what computer(s) use what connection? Is it simply
    a matter of having them all on the same network but with seperate
    gateways? I read where someone was able to have two network cards on a
    linux system to have the computers use it as the gateway and it would
    sort out the load accross the lowest-load pipe. Any ideas?

    P.S. - I inquired on the cable company's business-class internet,
    which was only 1Mb/256K* and was literally over 3x the price per
    month ... so no go there....

    * - Unsure of EXACT upload, download is confirmed.

  2. Re: Two+ broadband connections into a single network?

    On Sep 24, 2:22 pm, chevyman2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I believe this would be possible but I would like to verify. I am
    > currently moving to a new address and going from a 10Mb/1Mb internet
    > connection to what's going to end up being 3Mb/256K, which is
    > ridiculous. They will not adjust the cap on the modem and I can't do
    > it without the FBI/Whoever beating down my door. So, this leaves me
    > with ordering multiple connections and multiple modems. What I will
    > essentially need to do is feed the connections into two routers to
    > split between our 6+ home computers (wireless and wired). I will leave
    > one router DHCP enabled, the other, obviously, disabled and then
    > connect the routers via switch. How do I need to go about ensuring
    > that I can specify what computer(s) use what connection? Is it simply
    > a matter of having them all on the same network but with seperate
    > gateways? I read where someone was able to have two network cards on a
    > linux system to have the computers use it as the gateway and it would
    > sort out the load accross the lowest-load pipe. Any ideas?
    >
    > P.S. - I inquired on the cable company's business-class internet,
    > which was only 1Mb/256K* and was literally over 3x the price per
    > month ... so no go there....
    >
    > * - Unsure of EXACT upload, download is confirmed.

    I believe this is multihoming w/load balance see if I can dig up an
    article for you.

  3. Re: Two+ broadband connections into a single network?

    On 24 Sep 2007, chevyman2002@gmail.com wrote:

    > I believe this would be possible but I would like to verify. I am
    > currently moving to a new address and going from a 10Mb/1Mb
    > internet connection to what's going to end up being 3Mb/256K,
    > which is ridiculous. They will not adjust the cap on the modem and
    > I can't do it without the FBI/Whoever beating down my door. So,
    > this leaves me with ordering multiple connections and multiple
    > modems. What I will essentially need to do is feed the connections
    > into two routers to split between our 6+ home computers (wireless
    > and wired). I will leave one router DHCP enabled, the other,
    > obviously, disabled and then connect the routers via switch. How
    > do I need to go about ensuring that I can specify what computer(s)
    > use what connection? Is it simply a matter of having them all on
    > the same network but with seperate gateways? I read where someone
    > was able to have two network cards on a linux system to have the
    > computers use it as the gateway and it would sort out the load
    > accross the lowest-load pipe. Any ideas?

    No need for 2 routers. Just use a load-balancing router with
    multiple WAN connections. You can build your own solution with Linux
    or BSD, I imagine, but there are lots of commercial ones around. One
    that's not very expensive is the Linksys RV042. I use it on a small
    office LAN at work (about 20 workstations). 8Mbps cable modem and
    1Mbps DSL. There are many fancier ones, but this one's suitable for
    a home network as you describe. You can get it on Amazon for about
    $160. (Standard disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Linksys, Cisco
    which now owns Linksys or Amazon.)

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

+ Reply to Thread