Need of Tcp/ip test cases - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Need of Tcp/ip test cases - TCP-IP ; Hi everyone, our Team has developed a minimal tcp/ip stack, my job is to test the tcp/ip stack, can i get the test cases for testing the tcp/ip stack, where can i get the necessary resources in internet. how should ...

  1. Need of Tcp/ip test cases

    Hi everyone,
    our Team has developed a minimal tcp/ip stack, my job is to test the
    tcp/ip stack, can i get the test cases for testing the tcp/ip stack,
    where can i get the necessary resources in internet. how should i
    proceed, since iam new to protocol testing iam feeling some
    difficulty, can any one can suggest some resources in internet.
    Thanks in advance,
    with regards,
    Babu

  2. Re: Need of Tcp/ip test cases

    "linuxsrbabu@gmail.com" wrote:
    > our Team has developed a minimal tcp/ip stack, my job is to test the
    > tcp/ip stack, can i get the test cases for testing the tcp/ip stack,
    > where can i get the necessary resources in internet. how should i
    > proceed, since iam new to protocol testing iam feeling some
    > difficulty, can any one can suggest some resources in internet.

    The tool I am most familiar with is Maxwell, a product from InterWorking
    Labs: http://www.iwl.com

    Another tool I know only a little about is IxANVL, a product of IXIA:
    http://www.ixiacom.com/

    You might also try using the (rather old) MIL-STD-1777 certification
    tests as a guide to developing your own series (but it will require a
    bunch of time to first define your own test suite and then develop and
    debug programs to generate the needed traffic):

    http://docs.mandragor.org/files/Museum/mil-std-tests/

    The Maxwell product is a robustness tester. That is, its test cases will
    exercise your stack's ability to handle unusual or invalid fields and
    situations. The IxANVL is a conformance tester. It checks to see that
    your stack does not operate contrary the RFCs. Rolling your own is best
    suited if you have months (yes - months) of time and little or no money
    to budget for off-the-shelf tests.

    Conformance testing is nice but given a choice between interoperability
    testing (i.e. tests that check that your stack can communicate properly
    with machines running other stacks) and conformance testing, IMHO you
    should test for interoperability. That is because there are holes in the
    RFCs big enough to move small trucks, so your stack could be conformant
    but still fail to interoperate in some cases. Testing a stack's ability
    to interoperate with other stacks is the classic way to test stacks.

    Robustness testing is always a very good idea once basic interoperability
    has been established. Whereas interoperation tests and conformance tests
    are for the most part "sunny day" testing, robustness tests like those in
    Maxwell product provide the often missing "rainy day" scenarios. Or
    attacks by malevolent entities. Also, the Maxwell product does include
    some tests that can be categorized as conformance tests. And if their
    test suite is insufficient it provides a programming API framework to
    extend it.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread