multiling http? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on multiling http? - TCP-IP ; Hi all! Does anyone know what the heck "multiling http" is? I was just reading through the list of well-known port numbers (I do that on occasion) and noticed it was assigned to port 777. Google is not helping. Mostly ...

  1. multiling http?

    Hi all!

    Does anyone know what the heck "multiling http" is? I was just reading
    through the list of well-known port numbers (I do that on occasion) and
    noticed it was assigned to port 777.

    Google is not helping. Mostly just references to port 777.

    Any ideas? I'm curious, no real need to implement this or anything.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: multiling http?

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:41:45 GMT, Mark Space wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Does anyone know what the heck "multiling http" is? I was just reading
    > through the list of well-known port numbers (I do that on occasion) and
    > noticed it was assigned to port 777.
    >
    > Google is not helping. Mostly just references to port 777.
    >
    > Any ideas? I'm curious, no real need to implement this or anything.

    My guess is that it was some research effort, long gone. I was unable
    to find anything, too. The contact for it seems to be a guy at
    watson.ibm.com.

    And by the way, my system suggests another protocol on this port:

    tuva:~> grep -w 777 /etc/services
    moira_update 777/tcp # Moira update protocol

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn \X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

  3. Re: multiling http?

    On 23 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip, in article
    , Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    >Mark Space wrote:

    >> Does anyone know what the heck "multiling http" is? I was just reading
    >> through the list of well-known port numbers (I do that on occasion) and
    >> noticed it was assigned to port 777.
    >>
    >> Google is not helping. Mostly just references to port 777.

    >My guess is that it was some research effort, long gone. I was unable
    >to find anything, too.

    It's not listed in any of the (obsolete) "Assigned Numbers" RFCs (the
    last being RFC1700 from October 1994, before the listing was moved to
    web pages by RFC3232 in 2002). As the entry lacks a date string in the
    IANA port-numbers page, I'm inclined to agree that it's been there for
    some time.

    >The contact for it seems to be a guy at watson.ibm.com.

    You may want to look at that again - it's the line following the entry,
    not the one above it.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread