UDP Broadcasts and firewalls.. - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on UDP Broadcasts and firewalls.. - TCP-IP ; I am sending out a UPnP SSDP from my computer. [internet] [router A] [router B] [computer] 68.146.71.211 192.168.15.2 192.168.1.1 I send out the Discover UDP packet with hops > 1. Both routers a UPnP Enabled and Enabled. However only Router ...

  1. UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..

    I am sending out a UPnP SSDP from my computer.

    [internet]<------------------>[router A]<----------------->[router
    B]<---------------->[computer]
    68.146.71.211 192.168.15.2
    192.168.1.1

    I send out the Discover UDP packet with hops > 1.
    Both routers a UPnP Enabled and Enabled.
    However only Router B responds.

    Is it possible I need to open up a UDP port on router B so that the
    broadcast passes through to Router A and back again?
    The udp SSDP message is sent to 239.255.255.250:1900

  2. Re: UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..

    "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
    news:1190425525.657393.232110@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >I am sending out a UPnP SSDP from my computer.
    >
    > [internet]<------------------>[router A]<----------------->[router
    > B]<---------------->[computer]
    > 68.146.71.211 192.168.15.2
    > 192.168.1.1
    >
    > I send out the Discover UDP packet with hops > 1.
    > Both routers a UPnP Enabled and Enabled.
    > However only Router B responds.
    >
    > Is it possible I need to open up a UDP port on router B so that the
    > broadcast passes through to Router A and back again?
    > The udp SSDP message is sent to 239.255.255.250:1900

    I am not sure, but is this really a broadcast address ?

    I think 239.*.*.* is reserved for multicast addressess...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  3. Re: UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..

    On Sep 21, 11:06 pm, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
    > "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1190425525.657393.232110@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > >I am sending out a UPnP SSDP from my computer.

    > > [internet]<------------------>[router A]<----------------->[router
    > > B]<---------------->[computer]
    > > 68.146.71.211 192.168.15.2
    > > 192.168.1.1

    > > I send out the Discover UDP packet with hops > 1.
    > > Both routers a UPnP Enabled and Enabled.
    > > However only Router B responds.

    > > Is it possible I need to open up a UDP port on router B so that the
    > > broadcast passes through to Router A and back again?
    > > The udp SSDP message is sent to 239.255.255.250:1900

    > I am not sure, but is this really a broadcast address ?
    >
    > I think 239.*.*.* is reserved for multicast addressess...
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    I think you are right, perhaps multicast is the correct term and
    broadcast is not.
    However that doesn't explain why I can receive resposes only from B.

  4. Re: UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..

    "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
    news:1190469218.326217.165070@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Sep 21, 11:06 pm, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
    >> "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1190425525.657393.232110@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >>
    >> >I am sending out a UPnP SSDP from my computer.

    >> > [internet]<------------------>[router A]<----------------->[router
    >> > B]<---------------->[computer]
    >> > 68.146.71.211 192.168.15.2
    >> > 192.168.1.1

    >> > I send out the Discover UDP packet with hops > 1.
    >> > Both routers a UPnP Enabled and Enabled.
    >> > However only Router B responds.

    >> > Is it possible I need to open up a UDP port on router B so that the
    >> > broadcast passes through to Router A and back again?
    >> > The udp SSDP message is sent to 239.255.255.250:1900

    >> I am not sure, but is this really a broadcast address ?
    >>
    >> I think 239.*.*.* is reserved for multicast addressess...
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.

    > I think you are right, perhaps multicast is the correct term and
    > broadcast is not.
    > However that doesn't explain why I can receive resposes only from B.

    I have absolutely no clue but here is a guess:

    Maybe the multicast environment is not set up correctly ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  5. Re: UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..

    On Sep 22, 8:34 pm, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
    > "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1190469218.326217.165070@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > On Sep 21, 11:06 pm, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
    > >> "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message

    > >>news:1190425525.657393.232110@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...

    > >> I am not sure, but is this really a broadcast address ?

    > >> I think 239.*.*.* is reserved for multicast addressess...

    > >> Bye,
    > >> Skybuck.

    > > I think you are right, perhaps multicast is the correct term and
    > > broadcast is not.
    > > However that doesn't explain why I can receive resposes only from B.

    > I have absolutely no clue but here is a guess:
    >
    > Maybe the multicast environment is not set up correctly ?

    I'm clueless as well. Have you seen something in your router that
    talks about multicast?
    This isn't an IPV6 issue is it?

    I'm wondering now if the fact that I'm wireless to Router B has
    anything to do with it.

  6. Re: UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..

    "SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
    news:1190425525.657393.232110@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    > I am sending out a UPnP SSDP from my computer.
    >
    > [internet]<------------------>[router A]<----------------->[router
    > B]<---------------->[computer]
    > 68.146.71.211 192.168.15.2
    > 192.168.1.1
    >
    > I send out the Discover UDP packet with hops > 1.
    > Both routers a UPnP Enabled and Enabled.
    > However only Router B responds.
    >
    > Is it possible I need to open up a UDP port on router B so that the
    > broadcast passes through to Router A and back again?
    > The udp SSDP message is sent to 239.255.255.250:1900

    multicast on a router is optional - your boxes / code version / options /
    config may not support it (and we cannot help without know what they are...)

    also - there are various flavours of multicasting via a router - normally
    the router only forwards the packets to other subnets when a device has
    requested they are delivered. (the model is that any device can send, but
    traffic only goes to "interested" recievers).

    so - unless you have something on the target subnet actually requesting that
    packets sent to that specific multicast are sent to it - the routers may be
    working correctly.

    and from your follow up - wireless can work with multicast.

    --
    Regards

    stephen_hope@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

  7. Re: UDP Broadcasts and firewalls..