Question about RSTs - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Question about RSTs - TCP-IP ; If one side of a TCP connection receives an RST, what exactly will happen to the sequence numbers and acknowledgments numbers. Will they be reset to 0 or will they continue to be incremented as per the usual rules?...

  1. Question about RSTs

    If one side of a TCP connection receives an RST, what exactly will happen to
    the sequence numbers and acknowledgments numbers. Will they be reset to 0
    or will they continue to be incremented as per the usual rules?

  2. Re: Question about RSTs

    In article ,
    "barcaroller" wrote:

    > If one side of a TCP connection receives an RST, what exactly will happen to
    > the sequence numbers and acknowledgments numbers. Will they be reset to 0
    > or will they continue to be incremented as per the usual rules?

    Once you send or receive a RST, the connection is aborted. So there are
    no more sequence numbers.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA