UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available ! - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available ! - TCP-IP ; Hello, UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 is now available at website: http://www.myjavaserver.com/~skybuck Many improvements, some new features and theme support. Bye, Skybuck....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    Hello,

    UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 is now available at website:

    http://www.myjavaserver.com/~skybuck

    Many improvements, some new features and theme support.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  2. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 is now available at website:
    >
    > http://www.myjavaserver.com/~skybuck
    >
    > Many improvements, some new features and theme support.

    I am wondering if the file transfer is similar to an algorithm I proposed a
    while back:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...b74f4b074bdd42

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...dc400189134a60

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...64c1e367e8fc37

    Here is a possible rough outline of a protocol that can use the technique I
    proposed:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...cdc4f266c7f104

    Any thoughts?

  3. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:6uWdnWWyWrbrmXPbnZ2dnUVZ_ruqnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 is now available at website:
    >> http://www.myjavaserver.com/~skybuck
    >> Many improvements, some new features and theme support.

    > I am wondering if the file transfer is similar to an algorithm I proposed
    > a while back:

    [...]
    > Here is a possible rough outline of a protocol that can use the technique
    > I proposed:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...cdc4f266c7f104

    I have an old implementation of that around here somewhere. I am having some
    trouble tracking that old 2002 UDP code down.

  4. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    No,

    Since 1997 I am interested in writing a file transfer program.

    The prototype for file transfer tool was written in july 2000.

    In that same month I wrote about it:

    http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.d...&rnum=1&hl=en#

    Instead of using packet drivers in dos, I used winsock and 32 bit windows.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  5. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    > No,
    >
    > Since 1997 I am interested in writing a file transfer program.
    >
    > The prototype for file transfer tool was written in july 2000.
    >
    > In that same month I wrote about it:
    >
    > http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.d...&rnum=1&hl=en#
    >
    > Instead of using packet drivers in dos, I used winsock and 32 bit windows.

    How does you method of UDP file transfer differ from mine? Did you ever
    write a packet driver for windows?

  6. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:KI6dnTTSg5GCiXPbnZ2dnUVZ_tCrnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >> No,
    >>
    >> Since 1997 I am interested in writing a file transfer program.
    >>
    >> The prototype for file transfer tool was written in july 2000.
    >>
    >> In that same month I wrote about it:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.d...&rnum=1&hl=en#
    >>
    >> Instead of using packet drivers in dos, I used winsock and 32 bit
    >> windows.

    > How does you method of UDP file transfer differ from mine?

    I'll assume you are SenderX.

    You posted some links to newsgroup discussions.

    One is called:

    "Improving winsock performance"

    Another one is called:

    "Automatic WSAEVENT thread pooling,..." etc.

    You describe some winsock techniques, as well as others, you mention mixing
    udp and tcp, and some other ideas.

    The only winsock techniques I use are:

    "non-blocking sockets"
    "blocking sockets"

    I also experimented a little bit with overlapped i/o WSARecvFrom and
    WSASendTo.

    UDP File Transfer uses a non-blocking socket and only the main process
    thread (maybe in the future it will use a extra thread or maybe even
    multiple threads), furthermore it uses IP/UDP plus my own protocols, no TCP.

    > Did you ever write a packet driver for windows?

    I wrote a packet driver interface for Turbo Pascal 7/MS-Dos 6.22.

    For Windows it's not really necessary since Microsoft provides an NDISPROT
    driver example and I wrote an interface for that too.

    I never used these programming interfaces that much, maybe I will in the
    future.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  7. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:6uWdnWWyWrbrmXPbnZ2dnUVZ_ruqnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 is now available at website:
    >>
    >> http://www.myjavaserver.com/~skybuck

    [...]
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...cdc4f266c7f104

    Ahh CRAP! The downloads to my very old appcore library are invalid.
    Therefore, I can provide you with the code that goes with the post above
    right here:

    http://appcore.home.comcast.net/AppCore_OLD.zip

    Soory for any inconvenience!

  8. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    [...]
    > Ahh CRAP! The downloads to my very old appcore library are invalid.
    > Therefore, I can provide you with the code that goes with the post above
    > right here:
    >
    > http://appcore.home.comcast.net/AppCore_OLD.zip
    >
    > Soory for any inconvenience!

    This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    programs. Enjoy!

    ;^)

  9. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    > news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > [...]
    >> Ahh CRAP! The downloads to my very old appcore library are invalid.
    >> Therefore, I can provide you with the code that goes with the post above
    >> right here:
    >>
    >> http://appcore.home.comcast.net/AppCore_OLD.zip
    >>
    >> Soory for any inconvenience!

    > This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    > programs. Enjoy!
    >
    > ;^)

    Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use your
    library... ?

    I shall convert your library to Delphi code and then I shall try and use it.

    Maybe I will integrate your library into udp speed test to compare your
    libraries architecture and it's features/winsock features with blocking and
    non-blocking sockets.

    (UDP Speed Test 2 uses three threads (one for the receiver, one for the
    sender, and one for the gui)

    At the same time I might learn something from it by converting it to Delphi
    code.

    And it might be usefull for udp file transfer, it might replace it's buffer
    system with your architecture.

    Can I use your code in commercial products for free ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  10. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    > "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    > news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> [...]
    >>> Ahh CRAP! The downloads to my very old appcore library are invalid.
    >>> Therefore, I can provide you with the code that goes with the post above
    >>> right here:
    >>>
    >>> http://appcore.home.comcast.net/AppCore_OLD.zip
    >>>
    >>> Soory for any inconvenience!

    >> This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    >> programs. Enjoy!
    >>
    >> ;^)

    > Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    > your library... ?

    [...]

    The old library I posted does not contain the UDP protocol. I am still
    looking at CD after CD to try and find it.

    > Can I use your code in commercial products for free ?

    You can use the old code any way you want to.

  11. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

    > "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    > news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    >>> programs. Enjoy!
    >>>
    >>> ;^)

    >> Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    >> your library... ?

    >The old library I posted does not contain the UDP protocol. I am still
    >looking at CD after CD to try and find it.

    >> I shall convert your library to Delphi code and then I shall try and use
    >> it.

    [...]

    Well, that old AppCore code Implements a TCP server framework; I am looking
    for my old udp stuff. However, I would actually like to see the following
    code converted to Delphi:

    http://appcore.home.comcast.net

    This has nothing to do with network programming, although it can be made to
    work within the infrastructure of such code; something like this:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...1b5d37dc84e7b2

    The lock-free algorithms can be used to implement the internal
    data-structured within any number of server frameworks. Again, please let me
    clarify that the old code:

    http://appcore.home.comcast.net/AppCore_OLD.zip

    Implements a TCP server framework; not UDP. When I find my old UDP code I
    will post it right here. Anyway, sorry for _any_ confusions! I really am.

    ;^(...

  12. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:AdOdnWXHxb510HPbnZ2dnUVZ_t2inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >>> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >>> Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    >>> your library... ?

    >>The old library I posted does not contain the UDP protocol. I am still
    >>looking at CD after CD to try and find it.

    [...]

    This post should provide just a bit more context:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...84bac847e6646d

    There are still some broken links in that thread. Sorry. That is old stuff
    indeed.

  13. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

    > "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    > news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> [...]
    >>> Ahh CRAP! The downloads to my very old appcore library are invalid.
    >>> Therefore, I can provide you with the code that goes with the post above
    >>> right here:
    >>>
    >>> http://appcore.home.comcast.net/AppCore_OLD.zip
    >>>
    >>> Soory for any inconvenience!

    >> This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    >> programs. Enjoy!
    >>
    >> ;^)

    > Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    > your library... ?

    [...]

    If my ramblings end up helping you, or anybody else, so be it!

    :^)

  14. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:ypmdnc7PebEp1nPbnZ2dnUVZ_vWtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >>> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    >>> programs. Enjoy!
    >>>
    >>> ;^)

    >> Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    >> your library... ?

    > [...]
    >
    > The old library I posted does not contain the UDP protocol.

    Yes I noticed that.

    However send/recv and connect can be used with UDP as well.

    Only drawback is the destination has to be specified during the connect and
    can't be changed later.

    That's not to bad.

    A work around would be to disconnect and reconnect if the destination really
    has to be changed.

    > I am still looking at CD after CD to try and find it.

    I had a similiar situation yesterday. I wanted to find some graphics I made
    some time ago, I think even right before my motherboard died or something.

    It was kinda infuriating, but thanks to a search the PC and I finally found
    it

    If only one could do the same with cd's

    >> Can I use your code in commercial products for free ?

    > You can use the old code any way you want to.

    Okdokie good to know that (That does not mean I will actually use it more
    on that later )

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  15. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    It seems you like writing "AppCores"

    Maybe we can work together on a new design that would fit both our needs.

    A good but not too complex framework that is still flexible and has very
    good performance and can handle multiple thread and buffers and possibily
    even multiple connections and/or udp peers.

    I shall wait a little bit to see if you find your udp core.

    It could function as a basis or inspiration or so.

    I would definetly be interested in seeing it.

    Also I think there are similarties between overlapped file i/o, winsock
    overlapped i/o

    Maybe it would be possible to adept the framework in such a way that it
    could easily switch between winsock overlapped i/o and file i/o which could
    be used again to interface with ndisprot driver example.

    Just some thoughts for you.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  16. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >>> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> This old code provides a HTTP Proxy Server and Echo Server as example
    >>> programs. Enjoy!
    >>>
    >>> ;^)

    >> Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    >> your library... ?

    > [...]
    >
    > If my ramblings end up helping you, or anybody else, so be it!

    Don't worry about that.

    I have a question though:

    Is it possible to compile/build the code into a DLL.

    When I compile some parts of the code in Vistual Studio .NET 2003 it creates
    a *.lib.

    Other parts complain it can't find the *.lib

    As you can see I don't use Vistual Studio that much

    I like the C++ templates though... I would like to see that in action...
    then OnEvent handlers look interesting.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  17. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:AdOdnWXHxb510HPbnZ2dnUVZ_t2inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >> news:NeudnXRobcyGoHPbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    >>> news:Qdmdnekfn8REoXPbnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >>> Ok, you seem very persistent to try and help me, or get somebody to use
    >>> your library... ?

    >>The old library I posted does not contain the UDP protocol. I am still
    >>looking at CD after CD to try and find it.

    >>> I shall convert your library to Delphi code and then I shall try and use
    >>> it.

    > [...]
    >
    > Well, that old AppCore code Implements a TCP server framework; I am
    > looking for my old udp stuff. However, I would actually like to see the
    > following code converted to Delphi:
    >
    > http://appcore.home.comcast.net
    >
    > This has nothing to do with network programming, although it can be made
    > to work within the infrastructure of such code; something like this:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.w...1b5d37dc84e7b2
    >
    > The lock-free algorithms can be used to implement the internal
    > data-structured within any number of server frameworks.

    I took a quick look at the code and the discussion.

    The code looks portable to delphi, not sure about the macro's or ifdef's
    etc.

    Only thing I saw that was doubtfull was some align cacheline directive...

    Some questions:

    1. Do you really need this in Delphi or would it be a port exercise only ?

    2. If so what you need it for ?

    3. Have you compared your "lock" algorithms/implementations with for example
    critical sections ?

    How much faster are your algorithms/implementations ????? (The code seems
    quite complex I dare to ask if it's maybe even slower ?)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  18. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    > "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message

    [...]
    >> If my ramblings end up helping you, or anybody else, so be it!

    > Don't worry about that.

    Thank you.

    > I have a question though:
    >
    > Is it possible to compile/build the code into a DLL.

    IIRC, the workspace build the DLL in the 'c:\winnt\system32' directory.
    After you compile, search your computer for appcore.dll to be sure.

    > When I compile some parts of the code in Vistual Studio .NET 2003 it
    > creates a *.lib.
    >
    > Other parts complain it can't find the *.lib

    Set VS library search directory for the '\lib' directory.

  19. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:y6KdnQDeq8R1xnPbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message

    > [...]
    >>> If my ramblings end up helping you, or anybody else, so be it!

    >> Don't worry about that.

    > Thank you.
    >
    >> I have a question though:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to compile/build the code into a DLL.

    > IIRC, the workspace build the DLL in the 'c:\winnt\system32' directory.
    > After you compile, search your computer for appcore.dll to be sure.

    Ok, I found it

    >> When I compile some parts of the code in Vistual Studio .NET 2003 it
    >> creates a *.lib.
    >>
    >> Other parts complain it can't find the *.lib

    > Set VS library search directory for the '\lib' directory.

    Maybe you can write a little plug-in which I could load into udp speed test
    and then use it.

    It should be a DLL with standard calling convention.

    The API can be anything you like but try to keep it simple a bit.

    I shall give it a go:

    // The receiver api:

    void Receiver_SetLocalPort( uint16 ParaPort );
    void Receiver_SetLocalAddress( uint32 ParaAddress );

    void Receiver_SetOnPacketReceivedCallback( TonPacketReceivedPrototype );

    void Receiver_Start();
    void Receiver_Stop();

    typedef void OnPacketReceivedPrototype( SourceAddress, SourcePort,
    BytesReceived );

    // The sender api:

    void Sender_SetLocalPort( Port );
    void Sender_SetLocalAddress( Address );

    void Sender_SetRemoteAddress( Address );
    void Sender_SetRemotePort( Port );

    void Sender_SetDataSize( DataSize );

    void Sender_Start();
    void Sender_Stop();

    void Sender_SetOnPacketSentCallback( etc );

    typedef void OnPacketReceivedPrototype( BytesSent );

    Actually if you are interested in writing a plug-in for UDP Speed Test 2 let
    me know and I shall write a plug-in example myself in Delphi and in C/C++
    and then it will be "fleshed out".

    And then you can simply try and put your stuff in the skeleton or example.

    I think this would be the best way to quickly analyze/test or compare the
    performance of your "core".

    I hope you agree with this and I hope you wanna write a plug-in for UDP
    Speed Test 2.

    It thing this would be the path to least effort for the both of us to
    quickly come to results

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  20. Re: UDP Speed Test Version 2.93 Now Available !

    "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message
    news:y6KdnQDeq8R1xnPbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
    >> "Chris Thomasson" wrote in message

    > [...]
    >>> If my ramblings end up helping you, or anybody else, so be it!

    >> Don't worry about that.

    > Thank you.
    >
    >> I have a question though:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to compile/build the code into a DLL.

    > IIRC, the workspace build the DLL in the 'c:\winnt\system32' directory.
    > After you compile, search your computer for appcore.dll to be sure.
    >

    >> When I compile some parts of the code in Vistual Studio .NET 2003 it
    >> creates a *.lib.
    >>
    >> Other parts complain it can't find the *.lib

    > Set VS library search directory for the '\lib' directory.

    Ok, thanks.

    I used Visual Studio 2005 (newer )

    And I added the library paths/libs to the project properties

    In linker->general->additional library etc... only path needed

    And I also placed the dll in there and it did work.

    Many worker thread created.

    It says acceptex.

    And then nothing lol

    And then I close it and it frees the stuff and then later it looks like app
    hangs but it's not responding anymore
    because it's cleaning up and then program is done.

    So it proves the code compiles, builds, and works.. but haven't seen
    anything really interesting performance wise yet.

    I am not TCP guy so I guess the examples are useless for me...

    So I won't access how to use EchoServer and HTTP Proxy.. but maybe I should
    ask just in case it might be interesting so I will ask:

    How would other computer programs "communicate" with these two examples ?

    EchoServer I can figure that one out... open tcp connection to it... send
    some text,,, and it will be echoed...

    what about http proxy... what kind of proxy is this.. is this maybe a socks5
    proxy ???

    Or is it like a forwarded/cache kind of thing.

    An UDP example would be much more interesting ====DDDD

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

+ Reply to Thread