Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ? - TCP-IP ; Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ? Regards Tom...

  1. Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ?

    Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the
    whole OSI 7 model ?

    Regards
    Tom

  2. Re: Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ?

    In article <1189910525.516828.179200@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    lostlander wrote:

    > Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the
    > whole OSI 7 model ?

    I don't think any protocols were ever specified for some of the layers.
    In particular, I can't recall a Session Layer protocol ever being
    specified.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ?

    On Sep 15, 10:42 pm, lostlander wrote:
    > Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the
    > whole OSI 7 model ?
    >
    > Regards
    > Tom

    In another life I remember an extensive implemtation by a company
    called Marben. I think Sun distributed it for a while

  4. Re: Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ?

    On 15 Sep 2007, Barry Margolin wrote:

    > In article
    > <1189910525.516828.179200@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    > lostlander wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing
    >> the whole OSI 7 model ?

    > I don't think any protocols were ever specified for some of the
    > layers. In particular, I can't recall a Session Layer protocol
    > ever being specified.

    Well, there's X.225, Session Protocol Specification for Systems
    Interconnection for CCITT Applications. Actually, there were specs for
    all the upper layers. I happen to be working on a project right now
    that uses all 7 layers of the OSI stack right on up to FTAM file
    transfer at the application layer! Loads of fun ;-)

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  5. Re: Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the whole OSI 7 model ?

    On 15 Sep 2007, lostlander wrote:

    > Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the
    > whole OSI 7 model ?

    There was some fairly old code floating around called ISODE which had
    all the upper layers. It was open source. Maybe you can track down a
    copy.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISODE

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  6. Re: Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementingthe whole OSI 7 model ?

    Barry Margolin writes:

    > In article <1189910525.516828.179200@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    > lostlander wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any source code(or open source protocols) implementing the
    >> whole OSI 7 model ?

    > I don't think any protocols were ever specified for some of the layers.
    > In particular, I can't recall a Session Layer protocol ever being
    > specified.

    No, all the layers had some specifications, at least in draft form.
    Most had multiple, competing specifications from the various
    independent groups involved.

    One of the problems with OSI was that it was very expensive to
    develop. Just to start, you had to buy expensive specs, and then you
    had to deal with the complexity, not just in terms of implementing
    complicated protocols, but also in negotiating the sea of
    specifications and potential markets to figure out what you needed to
    implement to begin with. Towards the very end, a couple of these
    issues were resolved -- cheap spec prices for universities, for
    example -- but it was way too little, way too late. So the normal
    sources for commonly available code never got engaged. If you find
    available source code, it will probably be something abandoned by a
    big company (and you know how big companies can be about giving away
    anything, no matter how useless to them).

    Another issue with "the whole OSI 7 model" is that it was rarely if
    ever implemented as a monolith. Typically the transport layers would
    have been one thing -- often purchased from a third party, typically
    in the kernel with other transport protocols -- while the upper layers
    would have been something quite distinct, normally in a user
    application. So if you go looking, keep in mind that you're probably
    looking for two pieces. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could
    turn up a Unix implementation of TP4 (the connection oriented
    transport layer), but the upper layers may be lost to history. And you
    won't catch me crying about it....

    -don

+ Reply to Thread