High throughput over Gbit Ethernet link - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on High throughput over Gbit Ethernet link - TCP-IP ; Hello, We need to transfer data between two embedded systems at a high rate (~400 Mbit/second sustainable). This must be done over a Gigabit Ethernet link, fiber or CAT5, not very long (few meters). Supposing that the transmitter won't do ...

  1. High throughput over Gbit Ethernet link

    Hello,

    We need to transfer data between two embedded systems at a high rate
    (~400 Mbit/second sustainable). This must be done over a Gigabit
    Ethernet link, fiber or CAT5, not very long (few meters).

    Supposing that the transmitter won't do anything except transmitting
    the data, and the receiver won't do anything except receiving the data
    and writing it down (to a very fast storage), is it feasible to reach
    a sustainable 400 Mbit/s stream on TCP/IP ?
    On a more general note, wow can I estimate the maximal throughput over
    TCP/IP ? And over UDP/IP ? (supposing that the channel is relatively
    clean and the transmitter and receiver are on a direct link - no
    collisions).

    Thanks in advance
    Eli

  2. Re: High throughput over Gbit Ethernet link

    eliben wrote:
    > Supposing that the transmitter won't do anything except transmitting
    > the data, and the receiver won't do anything except receiving the
    > data and writing it down (to a very fast storage), is it feasible to
    > reach a sustainable 400 Mbit/s stream on TCP/IP ?

    Why not go ahead and try it? Either via FTP to include the filesystem
    part or with something like netperf:

    http://www.netperf.org/

    > On a more general note, wow can I estimate the maximal throughput
    > over TCP/IP ? And over UDP/IP ? (supposing that the channel is
    > relatively clean and the transmitter and receiver are on a direct
    > link - no collisions).

    A small matter of doing sums. Consider what UDP or TCP do to get data
    from one end to the other. Then consider what IP does to get the
    datagrams carrying the UDP datagrams or TCP segments from one end to
    the other, then consider what the link-layer protocol does to get the
    frame(s) carrying the IP datagrams from one hop to the next.

    rick jones