connect 2 machines directly over TCP/IP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on connect 2 machines directly over TCP/IP - TCP-IP ; We have 2 PCs connected to the internet through routers. The internet connections both have static IPs. We want to connect the 2 machines so they can share files as though they were on the same network, but we don't ...

  1. connect 2 machines directly over TCP/IP

    We have 2 PCs connected to the internet through routers. The internet
    connections both have static IPs. We want to connect the 2 machines so
    they can share files as though they were on the same network, but we
    don't want to use a VPN.

    Security is not an issue here.

    We've tried to use NAT to redirect the NetBIOS ports to the respective
    machines and added an LMHOSTS entry but whenever we try and connect we
    get this message
    "\\name is not accessible.

    The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

    I'm assuming this is because we need to redirect some other ports as
    well as 137, 138, 139 and 445.

    Does anyone know what else we need to do?

    Thanks for any help.
    Mike

  2. Re: connect 2 machines directly over TCP/IP

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:55:37 +0000, mikeybates wrote:

    > We have 2 PCs connected to the internet through routers. The internet
    > connections both have static IPs. We want to connect the 2 machines so
    > they can share files as though they were on the same network, but we
    > don't want to use a VPN.
    >
    > Security is not an issue here.
    >
    > We've tried to use NAT to redirect the NetBIOS ports to the respective
    > machines and added an LMHOSTS entry but whenever we try and connect we
    > get this message
    > "\\name is not accessible.
    >
    > The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."
    >
    > I'm assuming this is because we need to redirect some other ports as
    > well as 137, 138, 139 and 445.
    >
    > Does anyone know what else we need to do?

    Should work. Download wireshark and loop at the packets going on the wire
    to see what goes wrong.

    HTH,
    M4

  3. Re: connect 2 machines directly over TCP/IP

    In article <1188842137.827249.110310@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    mikeybates@gmail.com wrote:

    > We have 2 PCs connected to the internet through routers. The internet
    > connections both have static IPs. We want to connect the 2 machines so
    > they can share files as though they were on the same network, but we
    > don't want to use a VPN.
    >
    > Security is not an issue here.
    >
    > We've tried to use NAT to redirect the NetBIOS ports to the respective
    > machines and added an LMHOSTS entry but whenever we try and connect we
    > get this message
    > "\\name is not accessible.
    >
    > The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."
    >
    > I'm assuming this is because we need to redirect some other ports as
    > well as 137, 138, 139 and 445.
    >
    > Does anyone know what else we need to do?

    Many, if not most, broadband ISPs block the NetBIOS ports because when
    broadband was first becoming popular many users were enabling file
    sharing without restricting it to their home LANs, so they were
    unwittingly opening up file sharing to the entire Internet. When this
    hit the press, ISPs protected their customers by blocking the ports.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: connect 2 machines directly over TCP/IP

    On Sep 3, 10:55 am, mikeyba...@gmail.com wrote:

    > Security is not an issue here.

    Unfortunately, it is. Not security that you care about, but security
    built into the tools you are trying to use.

    You are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. And everything
    about the square peg is about not letting you do that.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread